Changing jobs requires a new work permit?

Working in Thailand

I have found another job in Thailand and want to change. I was wondering how much of a problem this is going to be. Do I need a new work permit for the new job?

If a foreigner leaves a job for whatever reason, they need to hand back the work permit to the labor department and the visa that goes with that work permit becomes invalid. You then have to leave the country to obtain a new visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in the neighboring countries.

Once in Thailand the work permit application shall follow. Note that if you want to add another job such as a part-time job to an existing work permit then you need to speak to an attorney about having it added onto your current work permit.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Naz
    June 22, 2020

    I came thailand in march 2020 on tourist i want to work in thailand as yoga how can i get non immigrant visa and then work permit as i dont have contact with any employer yet.i have to search job in bankok.
    Without going back to pakistan,i want to change visa and what is fee of non immigrant visa and requirements?
    I will be thankful for sincere guidance.

    • June 22, 2020

      Dear Naz,
      After you found an employer, you must return to Pakistan and apply for a non-immigrant B visa. you will use this Non immigrant B visa and Certificate of Entry to be able to return to Thailand. As for your visa amnesty, you only have until July 31 to stay in Thailand so we recommend that you book a flight back to Pakistan on the week of July 20-31.
      Thank you.

  2. Jefri
    June 18, 2020

    My wp will be over on November and I have had new employer. must I go out from Thailand to get new wp?

    • June 19, 2020

      Dear Jefri,
      Yes, you will travel out of Thailand, obtain a new Non Immigrant B visa and return to Thailand. Your new employer will sponsor your new Non B visa and new work permit. Thank you.

    • Aye
      June 27, 2020

      Hello, once again, i m currently in the process of applying work visa. However, my employer said that the government is not allow to apply for new work permit currently (they don’t issue new work permit to anyone yet). Is that true. Thank you.

    • June 29, 2020

      Dear Aye,
      Perhaps your employer is referring to the WP3 which is the letter that you need to submit together with your documents for the Non immigrant B visa. Yes, some Labour Offices are not issuing it at this time because this letter is only valid for 30 days and you need to enter Thailand within 30 days once it is issued which might be difficult to enter Thailand at this time.
      Thank you.

  3. Harold
    April 17, 2020

    Hi I recently resigned from my Job last March 20, 2020 at the same day My Employer cancelled my visa and work permit. Since I have a Thai nationality wife I applied for a visit visa ands I got 2 months visa until May 18, 2020.

    Right now I already have a new employer. Do I need to go out again of Thailand to get a non-b visa? Or can my new employer proceed with the application of my new work permit and visa without me living Thailand? Please advice.

    • April 22, 2020

      If you have a 60-day short term extension right now, you may contact the immigration office in your province if you can apply for the Non Immigrant Visa category B without leaving Thailand. Under special circumstances, some immigration offices may be able to do that. In case your local immigration office cannot do it, you have a choice to leave Thailand in May and apply for the new Non B visa from Thai embassy abroad. BUT that might not be a good idea because you might not be able to return to Thailand. So I recommend for you to postpone the employment and use the visa amnesty to stay in Thailand until July 31.

    • Harold
      April 22, 2020

      Thanks Rex,
      I’m already planning to apply for a thai marriage visa, All the other documents are now ready except for the money (400,000) that I only just deposited last month, which is I believe it needs to be there for atleast 2 months.

      Is there any other way or other type of extension visa (other than non-b) that I can apply so my employer can use it to apply for work permit while waiting for me to apply for thai marriage visa.

      Reason is with the situation right now with covid-19, Its very difficult to find a new employer. And Im worried they can’t wait for me.

    • April 23, 2020

      You can only use Non B or Non O visa or Marriage visa to get a work permit.

  4. A.M
    March 27, 2020

    Hi, I need advice. I am planning to change my job soon from Thailand to a different country in the region. But my family needs to stay back for children to complete education for another year. How shall one go about it? Once my work permit gets canceled do they need to apply for a student visa and my spouse as guardian. How long the process takes and is there anything we need to be aware of that can put this change at risk? Thanks

    • Once your visa and work permit are canceled, you and your family must leave Thailand. You can return to your home country and from there, they can apply for an education visa and guardian visa in order to return to Thailand.

  5. D. VC
    July 17, 2019

    I am in the process of changing job as well. My previous WP is due for cancellation on Monday, but the time left is not enough for my new Company to finish all docs. I intend to go out once WP is canceled but also prefer to come back to Thailand and just wait here for the processing of my new visa/wp. Is this possible?

    • July 23, 2019


      If your work permit and Thai visa are linked to each other, you must leave Thailand when your work permit is canceled. You will have to cancel your visa and the work permit.

      You can travel to nearby countries and re-enter as either on a visa exemption or re-enter on a tourist visa. I recommend re-entering on a tourist visa so that you have plenty of time to process your new non-immigrant B visa inside Thailand.

  6. Ahmed Muktada Monoz
    September 11, 2016

    I want to visit Thailand for 2 week on volunteer job with International Volunteer Headquarter. What type of visa I will be needed?

    • September 16, 2016

      Please get in touch with the Thai embassy or consulate near your location for information about the visa applicable for your travel.