(Last updated: January 9, 2021)
Note: Thailand has allowed foreigners to enter the kingdom by air under the Visa Exemption Program for 45 days. The foreigners must obtain certificate of entry (COE), provide COVID-19 insurance and undergo mandatory quarantine.
Passport Holders Who Can Enter Thailand Without a Visa
The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows tourists from 64 countries1 to enter Thailand without a visa. They are granted to stay a maximum of 30 days if they are entering Thailand via an international airport or entering through a land border checkpoint from neighbouring countries.
Under the new provisions of the VISA EXEMPTION RULE and BILATERAL AGREEMENT effective December 31, 2016, passport holders of 55 countries are entitled to enter Thailand under this rule provided that they meet the following criteria:
- The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.
- They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling over land out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc may be accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 days of entry you will be most likely refused entry.
- It will also be necessary to prove that you have funds of at least 10,000 THB per person during your stay in Thailand.
A fee may be levied on persons entering Thailand under the VISA EXEMPTION RULE especially when entering through a land border in Southern Thailand.
Holders of normal passports of the following countries are granted visa-free travel to Thailand for a period of up to 30 days. The exemption is granted at most twice in a calendar year when entering over land or via a sea border but there is no limitation when entering by air. For Malaysians entering by land border, there is no limitation in issuing the 30-day visa exemption stamp. Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Chile will get 90 days in both airport and land border.
164 Countries allowed to enter Thailand under the VISA EXEMPTION RULE:
- Argentina (90 days)
- Brazil (30 days and 90 days)
- Cambodia (14 days only)
- Chile (90 days)
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- Korea (30 days and 90 days)
- Myanmar (14 days only)
- New Zealand
- Peru (30 days and 90 days)
- San Marino
- Slovak Republic
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- United States