(Updated last October 11, 2023, Bangkok, Thailand)
Securing a Visa on Arrival upon entering Thailand
The Visa On Arrival scheme allows passport holders of 19* listed countries and territories to enter Thailand without needing to apply for a Tourist Visa from a Thai Embassy in their own country.
To receive a Visa on Arrival, a traveler must meet the following requirements:
- Be from an approved country.
- Be visiting Thailand strictly for tourism purposes.
- Hold a genuine passport with a valid expiry of more than 30 days.
- Be able to list a valid accommodation address in Thailand that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
- Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 15 days. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.**
- Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers, or 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.
- Pay a fee of 2,000 THB upon entry. This fee is subject to change without notice. It must be paid in cash and only Thai currency is accepted.
** You may be asked to show your flight ticket to Thai immigration officials on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show that you will exit Thailand within 15 days (or 30 days) of entry, you will most likely be refused entry.
Here are the required documents for visitors who want to enter Thailand with Visa on Arrival:
- Genuine passport valid for 30 days or more.
- One photo with the size of 4 x 6 cm taken within six months.
- Provide a valid address in Thailand.
- Proof of a fully paid return air ticket.
- Completed Visa on Arrival Form TM88: https://www.thaiembassy.com/faq/application-form-for-visa-on-arrival
The visa fee is 2,000 THB for a single entry and to be paid in cash only. This fee is non-refundable.
You will be granted permission to enter Thailand if you qualify and complete the process list above. The Immigration bureau is responsible to ensure you meet all the requirements so best to be well prepared beforehand. The Visa on Arrival application process is very straightforward, and it can be accomplished quickly upon your arrival in Thailand.
People who are not eligible to enter Thailand under the Visa on Arrival scheme or Visa Exemption rule are required to obtain a visa through a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate prior to their visit.
* List of countries eligible for the Visa on Arrival
| || |
Note: If your country of nationality is not on the list, please check here:
List of Thailand Immigration Checkpoints for Visa on Arrival
- Suvarnabhumi Airport
- Don Muang International Airport, Bangkok
- Chiangmai International Airport, Chiangmai
- Phuket International Airport, Phuket
- Hatyai International Airport, Songkhla
- U Tapao Airport, Rayong
- Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
- Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
- Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai
- Betong Immigration Checkpoint, Yala
- Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Samui Airport, Surat Thani
- Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
- Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
- Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi
- Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint, Rayong
- Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
- Samui Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
- Phuket Immigration Checkpoint, Phuket
- Satun Immigration Checkpoint, Satun
- Krabi Immigration Checkpoint, Krabi
- Songkhla Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
- Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani
There are currency exchange counters at major airports. If a traveler is entering Thailand by land, it is best to exchange currency for Thai Baht before leaving their home country.
COVID and Vaccination Requirements
Visa on Arrival is issued without need of showing any proof of COVID vaccination.
Travel Insurance for Visa on Arrival Visitors
With travel restrictions eased, Thailand removed the need for Visa on Arrival travelers to provide proof of a valid Covid Insurance policy. It is important to note that foreign visitors are not eligible for free medical care while in Thailand. If a foreigner requires medical attention, they will need to cover any expenses themselves.
Travel insurance is a wise choice for people traveling abroad. It not only covers Covid-related incidents but also:
- Medical emergencies
- Personal injury & accidents
- Missed or delayed flights
- Damage to belongings
- Lost luggage
To ensure you have the best cover possible while visiting Thailand and to avoid potential exclusions or conditions, choose Travel Insurance which is designed for Thailand.
AXA Thailand: AXA Sawasdee Thailand
AXA Sawasdee Thailand is a well-known and respected insurance company in Thailand that caters to travelers from around the world. Their policies are straightforward, approved in minutes, and trusted by Thai authorities and medical institutions.
For the best Travel Insurance for a Visa on Arrival traveler, you can look to AXA Thailand.