COVID-19 Guide for Travelers to and in Thailand


For latest information on How to Travel to Thailand in 2021, please check HERE!

For latest updates on Thailand Travel Restrictions, please check HERE!

TODAY’S UPDATE: May 07, 2021

    • Thailand reports 2,044 new COVID-19 infections which brings the total number of cases to 78,855 since January 2020. Out of the 78,855 there are 49,172 recoveries, 363 deaths, and 29,320 cases currently undergoing treatment.
    • Starting May 6, 2021 the Thai government has restored the mandatory quarantine of 14 days for unvaccinated and vaccinated Thai and foreign travelers.
    • The Thai Embassies and Consulates are now issuing  Certificate of Entry to enter Thailand including those nationalities under Visa Exemption list.
    • The ASQ Hotel reservation and COVID 19 Insurance are required for foreigners entering Thailand.


Download your Complete Travel Guide HERE! Thailand Travel Guide 2021Download Thailand Travel Guide and Checklist


Book a complete ASQ package. CLICK HERE buy now
Book your ASQ Hotel in Thailand


Get Your Travel Insurance! CLICK HERE buy now


  • The Thai Embassies and Consulates are now issuing 60-day tourist visa and special tourist visa (STV) and Certificate of Entry to enter Thailand.
  • Thailand allows semi-commercial flights to travel to Thailand.
  • The foreigners to be allowed to enter Thailand will comprise of  diplomats and foreign workers including their families, business representatives and experts invited by the government, permanent residents, foreigners with Thai families, students and their guardians, medical tourists and their attendants, business visa holders, Thai Elite Visa holders, APEC Card holders, special tourist visa (STV) and tourist visa (TRV) holders, non-immigrant O retirement visa, non-immigrant OA and OX holders  and migrant workers with official documents. Foreigners must get in touch with the local Thai Embassy in their current location to apply for Certificate of Entry and for more information.
  • Starting October 1, 2020 to September 30, 2021 Thailand will allow limited numbers of long stay foreign tourists under the Special Tourist Visa (STV) Program.  This long stay visa is open to foreign nationals  travelling to Thailand with the intention to stay long term as tourist to boost the tourism industry. Those who are qualified, must get in touch with the local Tourism Authority of Thailand Office or Thai Embassy in their current location for more information.
  • Frequently Asked Questions below.


COVID-19 Thailand Visa Amnesty/Extension

What is a visa amnesty?

It is the visa relief or 60-day visa extension for all foreign nationals staying in Thailand affected by the COVID-19 crisis as announced by the government on May 29, 2021.

Who are covered by the visa amnesty?

All foreign nationals who are legally staying in Thailand whether you are here on visa exemption entry stamps, tourist visa, non-immigrant visas, or yearly extension of stays.

What are the current implementing rules regarding the visa amnesty?

  • Visas or permit to stay that are still valid and updated by the local immigration office.
  • Foreigners holding a long-term visa such as a working visa, marriage visa, or retirement are required to apply for their yearly extension at the immigration office as usual.
  • Foreigners do not need any embassy letter to be granted the automatic visa extension due to COVID 19.

Is the COVID-19 visa extension free of charge?

Yes, the COVID 19 extension of the visa costs 1,900 Thai baht.

Will the visa amnesty be extended?

The validity of the visa amnesty is until March 29, 2021 only. There is no indication that this visa amnesty or grace period will be extended.

What will happen when the visa amnesty is lifted or not extended anymore?

When the situation is resolved and returns to normal, foreigners must leave Thailand on or before the permit to stay date in their passports or they must apply for the proper another type of visa at the immigration office.

Want to stay in Thailand for up to 20 years? Consider the Thailand Elite Visa program.


Travel Ban

  • The government bans most of international flights to Thailand however, there have been semi-commercial flights that are now allowed to travel to Thailand.
  • The foreigner who are qualified to enter Thailand may now apply for the “Certificate of Entry to Thailand” to be allowed to enter Thailand on the available repatriation flights. Please check the page Can you enter Thailand now during the COVID-19 Crisis?

90-Day Reporting

If you are a foreigner staying in Thailand for a period longer than 90 consecutive days holding a Non-Immigrant Visa or Extension of Stay, you are required by the Thai Immigration to report your current address every 90 days. You may file for the TM47 notification in person, by mail, online, or by an agent. Please check this page:

Consequences of Visa Overstay

During this COVID-19 crisis in Thailand, some foreign nationals may find themselves overstaying in Thailand, do so by mistake, by miscalculating the length of their stay, forgetting their visa expiration date or by unforeseen cancellation of their flights due to travel restrictions. As a traveler, you should strongly avoid overstaying in Thailand, but if you do find yourself in Thailand on an expired visa it is very important that you act fast and in the right way. Please check this page to learn more of the consequences of overstaying in Thailand:

Thai Immigration Social DistancingSocial Distancing at Muang Thong Thani Temporary Immigration Office

Cancellation of Visa on Arrival

The countries with canceled visa-on-arrival are Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Uzbekistan, and Vanuatu. These countries are now required to obtain a proper visa in order to travel to Thailand. The visa on arrival for Russia has been canceled, however, Russian passport holders may still enter Thailand for 30 days under the bilateral agreement with Thailand.

Thai Immigration QueueApril 07, 2020 at Thai Immigration Office Chaengwattana

Frequently Asked Questions

To extend a tourist visa, do I need to visit the immigration office in person? I do not want to go to crowded areas at risk of getting infected?

Yes, there have been no changes regarding the visa extension application whether it is your first time to extend or the second time to extend. The application is still done in person. Although, immigration offices are practicing different measures such as social distancing and disinfecting the area to make sure that the applicants are not at risk of contracting the COVID-19.

I have tried online reporting and reporting through a mobile app, both attempts are a failure. What are my other options?

If the online and mobile app reporting does not work, you need to do the reporting by yourself or you can ask an agent or third party to do the 90-day address reporting. You need to provide a power of attorney and the 90-day reporting documents such as the original and copy of the passport. There is no immigration fee for address reporting.

Is it required by law to wear a face mask?

The emergency decree that came into effect  recommends everyone wear a face mask when they are outside of their residence. However, some provinces such as Phuket has their own rule and you will be subject to a penalty. In Bangkok, commuters are required to wear a face mask when using public transportation.

Should I carry my passport at all times?

Yes. If you are a foreigner and you will be out of your residence or hotel, you need to carry your passport especially right now that there are random checks to check the visa validity. It is also good to know that there are banks that would not allow you to enter the premises if you have traveled recently abroad, so it is best to have your passport with you at all times.

I am aware of the entry requirements for foreigners entering Thailand, is there special consideration for those traveling with my Thai family or visiting my Thai family?

At the moment, you can enter Thailand using a non-immigrant O visa or even a tourist visa. You just have to make sure that you have obtained a COE Certificate of Entry, purchased COVID-19 Insurance, you had a COVID 19 test and you will undergo a mandatory ASQ quarantine.

I have a Non-Immigrant B visa and work permit expiring on April 24, due to my country’s travel restriction I cannot return to Thailand to renew it. What are my options?

If your country does not allow you to travel to Thailand, I regret to inform you that there is nothing you are able to do. It is not possible to renew it while you are outside Thailand and it also not possible to renew at the Thai embassy in your country. Should your visa and work permit expire while you are outside Thailand, you need to apply for a new non-immigrant B visa for you to enter Thailand and after you have entered Thailand, you can apply for a new work permit.

When do I need the embassy letter for COVID-19 visa extension?

As of writing, the embassy letter is no longer required by the immigration office to receive the 60-day COVID-19 extensions.

I am looking for flights from Laos to Europe and this requires me to transit in Thailand. There are multiple different articles including the one on Thai Airways stating that a Health Certificate is required for transiting passengers.

As of writing, international passengers including transiting passengers are required to present a COVID-19 health certificate. If you are affected by this travel requirement, you may opt to postpone your travel or you may opt to book a flight that will not transit through Thailand. For the latest update, it is best to contact your airline.

I am a US citizen traveling from the US to Thailand via Hong Kong, am I subject to mandatory quarantine?

Yes, the mandatory quarantine is required for any foreigner and Thai travelers entering Thailand to undergo the 10-day or 7-day quarantine at an accredited ASQ hotel.

Hello, I have booked my tour for Thailand in April 2020 with an Indian passport but now the Thailand government has temporarily suspended the grant of visa on arrival at any international airport to contain the spread of the coronavirus. What can I do now?

Since the visa on arrival has been canceled, you are required to secure a tourist visa prior to your trip to Thailand. You need to obtain the 60-day Thai tourist visa from the nearest Thai embassy or location in your country of residence or nationality subject to consular fees and regulations of the said Thai embassy or consulate. You also need to obtain the Certificate of Entry or COE, purchase a COVID 19 insurance, book an ASQ Hotel for the 10-day quarantine and obtain a COVID 19 medical certificate.

I’m a French national. I have taken 60 days tourist visa, which is ending soon, but due to COVID-19, I am kind of reluctant to travel back to France, is there any way that I can extend my visa for another 30 days?

Yes, any nationality holding a 60-day tourist visa entry stamp can extend for 30 days at the local immigration office. For the extension, you just have to submit one passport size photo (4cm x 6cm) with white background, TM6 card, TM30 receipt from your hotel, and pay the fee of 1,900 Thai baht.

I am British and I entered Thailand on holiday on March 3 and am scheduled to leave on April 1. If my flight is canceled due to COVID-19, I may be forced to overstay my 30 days permit to stay until I have a rescheduled flight. Is this ok? If not, what should I do?

You are able to extend this 30-day visa exemption stamp for another 30 days at the local immigration office. For the extension, you just have to submit one passport size photo (4cm x 6cm) with white background, TM6 card, TM30 receipt from your hotel, and pay the fee of 1,900 Thai baht.

I am a Dutch national who traveled to Thailand from China and I will be subject to a mandatory quarantine. Can I leave Thailand or return home even before the 14-day duration is complete?

Yes, you may leave Thailand. You do not need any permit in order to exit Thailand.

I am an American and I have a 45-day visa exemption that I extended for an extra 30 days. My current extension will expire on April 1, 2021. What are my options to stay in Thailand due to the travel restriction in other countries?

You have two options: 1.) You can extend your current extension for 30 days at your local immigration office. 2.) You can request for a COVID-19 extension and  you will be given 60 days extension at your local immigration office.

I have a non-immigrant O visa for having a Thai wife. It is a single entry visa. My 90-day entry stamp will expire in April and the money in my account has not seasoned yet for 2 months. What can I do?

Since you are legally married to a Thai national, you can apply for a 60-day extension for having a Thai wife. This extension will give you enough time for your funds to season for 2 months. After your funds have seasoned for 2 months, you may apply for a 1-year extension or marriage visa.

My work permit and my visa will expire by the end of the month. Due to the current COVID-19 situation, I am not able to return to my country. What are my options?

Since your visa and your work permit will expire, your only option for an extension of your stay in Thailand is to file for the 60-day COVID extension. You may apply for this extension on the last day of your permit to stay.

I am flying from the USA to Thailand via Hong Kong. Do I still need to present a health certificate and travel insurance?

At the moment, passengers entering Thailand need to obtain the Certificate of Entry or COE, purchase a COVID 19 insurance, book an ASQ Hotel for the 10-day quarantine and obtain a COVID 19 medical certificate.

Thailand Weekly Updates

Fill out the form to receive weekly updates on How to Travel to Thailand.

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Siam Legal International, Two Pacific Place Building, Bangkok, 10110, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact


Can anyone advise what to do regarding my Non-B visa? My Non-B has expired on 4th March. I have to pay a fine of 500 baht per day overstay. The borders around Thailand are closed for me to renew it. I have requested a 30-day extension but was refused. They need my new contract for the new year. At the moment schools are closed and even so it is a process to get all my documents. This is costing me an arm and a leg. What are my solutions?

The best solution for this is to avoid overstaying so that you will not get in trouble in the future. If you do not have a new contract from the school it is imperative for you to return to your home country until you have a new contract and apply for a new visa from the Thai embassy there. Once you have secured a new non-immigrant B visa, you may return to Thailand together with a copy of the health certificate and health insurance.

In the UK, access to testing is very limited and they are currently not allowing any testing for people without symptoms. How are travelers supposed to get a health certificate in order to be able to provide this at the airport of origin?

The Thai government and the UK government are highly recommending to cancel or postpone unnecessary travel to Thailand. If the travel is of extreme urgency and importance, the traveler must secure a medical certificate confirming that he/she is not a COVID-19 positive and should also provide health insurance no matter what the cost is.

I am a U.S. citizen. I arrived in Bangkok last March 9. My flight to Manila has been canceled on April 8. I am in Pattaya. Do I need a US embassy letter to extend my 45-day Travel Visa? Or can I just go to the Thai Immigration office in Pattaya to get an extension due to COVID-19?

No, you do not need an embassy letter at this time. Your current 45-day visa exemption stamp can be extended for an additional 30 days. For the extension, you just have to submit one passport size photo (4cm x 6cm) with white background, TM6 card, TM30 receipt from your hotel and pay the fee of 1,900 Thai baht.


Get your health insurance here

Get a quote for your COVID Insurance in Thailand.
buy now

Leave a Reply to Kevin McDonald Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Avatar
    Uschi Freitag
    April 29, 2021

    Can you please inform me what a good website is for updated travel restrictions within Thailand?

  2. Avatar
    Ben Wong
    April 21, 2021

    Hi, I will be flight to Bangkok on 1 May and already get the ROC approval from the Hong Kong Thai Embassy, however, the flight schedule no was changed but on the same date of arrival, I tried to log in to amend the ROC but iot showed that it was approved which cannot be amended any information, may I know that how should I do ? is it necessary to amend the flight NO

    • Rex
      April 21, 2021

      Dear Ben,
      Good day.
      The COE has the remarks number stating that if your flight was canceled or delayed and you have a new flight within 72 hours from the original flight and all your other documents are updated, you can use the same COE.
      Thank you.

  3. Avatar
    Fabian Linkowski
    April 19, 2021

    I was going to fly Thailand on apr 20th but it turns out i am Covid positive.
    I have to stay isolated 2 weeks at home. What are the requirements for people that has already Covid?
    You know PCR remains positive even if you can not transmit the illness…
    Should I quaratine?

    • Rex
      April 19, 2021

      Dear Fabian,
      You can travel to Thailand only when you test negative. People who recovered from COVID 19 will test negative afterward. That is the way to say they have recovered.
      Thank you.

  4. Avatar
    April 6, 2021

    Hi .. i just want to ask ..
    My friend want to travel in DUBAI UAE .. right now shes in thailand did bnkok thaild requires 100,000 usd for health insurance even she will do exit in the country?
    And she have already travel health insurance here in dubai ..
    hope u will answer my question . Thanks

    • Rex
      April 22, 2021

      Dear Mariel,
      A Thai national does not need a travel insurance when she returns to Thailand. If your friend is not Thai and she will return to Thailand, she needs to have 3 to 6 months COVID insurance for Thailand.
      Thank you.

  5. Avatar
    Mae Saban
    April 6, 2021

    My husband plans to travel this May, he is a dialysis patient does ASQ hotels provide dialysis treatment for 2 days? He is done with his covid vaccine.

    • Rex
      April 13, 2021

      Dear Mae,
      Good day.
      I recommend for you to contact with the ASQ Hotel if they can arrange this special request. They might be able to arrange it with the partner hospital.
      Thank you.

  6. Avatar
    Andre Cook
    April 2, 2021

    Hello there,

    I’m married to a Thai national but I reside in the UK (I’m British), my wife is in Thailand (Isaan). I’m hoping to travel out there in October this year 2021 and would like to ask, will I be permitted to travel to Isaan to see her and spend a few weeks there?


    • Rex
      April 6, 2021

      Dear Andre,
      Good day.
      Yes, you will be permitted to see your family in Isaan. if you are staying less than 45 days in Thailand, you may opt to get the visa exemption of 45 days which you may extend for 30 in Thailand. You only need to apply for the COE or certificate of entry from the Thai Embassy. The main requirements are bank statement, return flight within 45 days, ASQ hotel booking for the quarantine of either 7 or 10 days, COVID 19 travel insurance for Thailand and the COVID test before your flight.
      The processing time for the COE will take a couple of days.

      You may download our Free Guide on How to Enter Thailand on this link:
      Thank you.

  7. Avatar
    Jimmy Wong
    March 25, 2021

    My Mom is a Thai citizen will she have to self isolate at the hotel or we can self isolate ourselves at home? Because we have not enough money to pay that hotel fee for 14 days. What should we do?

    • Rex
      April 6, 2021

      Dear Jimmy,
      For the Thai national, when applying for the COE to return to Thailand, you will be given an option to quarantine in a hotel paid by yourself or quarantine in the facility provided by the government (usually it is a hotel classroom or a hotel also).
      No, you cannot quarantine at home. You must do it in designated areas for 10 days.
      Thank you.

  8. Avatar
    March 24, 2021

    Can i convert my non immigrant o type visa into non-immigrant B type visa without leaving Thailand? Is there any relaxation in this case due to covid?

    • Rex
      April 28, 2021

      Dear Vishakha,
      Good day.
      At this time, if your non immigrant O visa is a dependant visa or guardian visa or volunteer visa, it is not possible to change it into a Non Immigrant B visa within the country. If it is a Non O visa under retirement or under marriage visa, there will be a possibility that it can be changed into a Non Immigrant B visa at Bangkok Immigration office.
      Thank you.

  9. Avatar
    Alex Howarth
    March 20, 2021

    My mum is a Thai resident living in England, my sister and I are British citizens. We’ve had bad news about a family member and we are desperate to go over as soon as possible this would not be for tourism, strictly personal agenda. What can we do?

  10. Avatar
    March 10, 2021

    Hi there,
    I am a visitor from Indonesia, and I entered Thailand under the 45 day visa exemption scheme. I just finished my quarantine and plan to extend my duration of stay beyond the original 45 days. Is that possible? And what are the requirements?

    Thank you!

    • Rex
      March 10, 2021

      Dear Lisa,
      Yes, you may visit the local immigration office and you may apply for a 60-day COVID 19 extension and pay 1900 THB.
      Thank you.