Thailand Marriage Visa

Thailand Visa

Types of Thailand Visas

What is the Thailand Marriage Visa?

It is a visa available to individuals who are married to a Thai citizen and meet the requirements set by the Immigration Bureau. This visa allows for a continuous one-year residence in Thailand without requiring the holder to leave the country. Furthermore, it offers the flexibility of annual renewal within Thailand, provided that the holder continues to meet the requirements.

It also allows its holders to work, so long as they possess a valid work permit

Applicants Eligibility

To qualify for the Thailand Marriage Visa, you must:

  • Be married to a Thai national. This can be proven through a Marriage Certificate and a Marriage Registration. In the case that you’ve married outside of Thailand, either you or your spouse must inform the Amphur (district office) and acquire the Kor Ror 22 family status registration form.
  • Have a security deposit of 400,000 THB in a Thai bank account from an overseas source for at least 2 months before the visa application, or a monthly income of at least 40,000 THB with a letter proving that it’s been verified by the embassy.

Please be aware that the need for a copy of an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry may vary based on the immigration office and that it can be acquired from your country’s embassy in Thailand. 

Also, if there is any difficulty in obtaining an income affidavit, you have the option to submit your monthly income through a 12-month bank statement from your Thai bank account.

It is crucial to emphasize that all the documents must be in English or Thai. If they are in another language, it is necessary to have them translated by an authorized translator and then legalized by the Embassy or consulate before submission.

Application Process

  1. You must first acquire a 90-day Non-Immigrant O Visa from the Thai Embassy or consulate in your home country or country of residence. Alternatively, this visa can also be obtained from neighboring countries of Thailand.
  2. Travel to Thailand to activate the Non-Immigrant O Visa.
  3. Gather all the required documents for converting your Non-Immigrant O Visa into the Thailand Marriage Visa. The extension will occur during the final 30 days of the 90-day permit to stay in Thailand.
  4. Present your visa extension request, along with all the documents, to the immigration office. The process duration is approximately one month before the issuing of the one-year Thailand Marriage Visa. 

Whether you’re here in Thailand through a Visa Exemption stamp or a Tourist Visa, you can still pursue a Thailand Marriage Visa within the country, as long as you meet the requirements for both the Non-Immigrant O Visa and the 1-year Thailand Marriage Visa applications. This can all be done at your local immigration office in the province or where you and your spouse are residing.

Thailand Marriage Visa Restrictions And Obligations

90-Day Notification

Thailand Marriage Visa holders are obligated to report their current residence or address to the immigration office every 90 days. This can be done in person at the immigration office, by mail, or with the help of an agent. If you leave Thailand before the 90-day reporting deadline, the reporting period will start again from day one upon your return.

Re-entry Permit

If you’re on a single-entry visa and plan on leaving and entering Thailand throughout the year of your Thailand Marriage Visa’s validity, it is essential to secure a multiple-entry permit to prevent your visa from getting canceled. However, if you intend to stay in Thailand for the entirety of the visa period, obtaining such a permit is not required.

In cases where you need to leave the country immediately, you can secure a re-entry permit either from the nearest immigration office or at an international airport before your departure.

Thailand Marriage Visa Renewal

The Thailand Marriage Visa has a one-year validity and can be extended by submitting the same documentation used in the initial application. It’s important to be aware that the funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before renewing the visa.

If a divorce occurs, the validity of your marriage visa will be revoked, necessitating immediate departure from the country. However, in certain circumstances, you might be permitted to remain until the expiration of your existing Marriage Visa.

Contact Us

If you wish to apply for a Thailand Marriage Visa or have any further questions, please contact us at Siam Legal. We’re a full-service law firm with over 20 years of experience helping foreign citizens get visas in Thailand, and we’ll gladly provide you with all the necessary details and help you through every step of the process.