This Weekly Update was originally posted on January 7, 2022. For the most recent update, click here.
To sign-up for our Weekly Updates, please click here.
Test and Go Program Update
New applications for the Thailand Pass under the Test and Go Program remain suspended until further notice.
Travelers who were already approved for the Test and Go program will be allowed to enter Thailand under the same program; one-night quarantine in an SHA Plus+ or Quarantine Hotel while waiting for a negative COVID test result before being allowed to travel to other parts of Thailand.
There is no final decision regarding the cut-off date for the Test & Go entry to Thailand. The CCSA will monitor and assess the situation and release a new order when necessary.
Expanded Phuket Sandbox Program (Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga)
Starting January 11, travelers will be allowed to travel to more destinations under the Phuket Sandbox program. Travelers will also be allowed to spend their Sandbox stay in Phang Nga or Krabi. They must stay at least the first 7 nights in SHA Plus+ Hotels in Phuket, Krabi, and Phang-Nga if they plan to continue to visit other destinations in Thailand. If they are staying less than 7 nights, the travelers must leave Thailand to another international destination. Travelers entering under the expanded Phuket Sandbox program must enter Thailand through Phuket International airport without transit in Bangkok.
Samui Sandbox Resumption (Samui, Phang-Ngan and Koh Tao)
Aside from the expanded Phuket Sandbox, the CCSA also approved the resumption of the Samui Sandbox starting January 11, which includes the islands of Koh Samui, Koh Phang-Ngan and Koh Tao. Travelers under the Samui Sandbox program must enter Thailand through Samui International airport without transit in Bangkok or Phuket. They are also required to stay at least 7 nights in SHA Plus+ hotel in Samui before traveling to other parts of Thailand. The two COVID 19 RT-PCR tests will be arranged by your chosen SHA Plus+ Hotel in Samui.
Check Your Phuket Sandbox Thailand Pass
For travelers who would like to check the status or follow up the status of their Thailand Pass Phuket Sandbox application, you may call +66 76 530 220 or email the following information:
- Subject: Thailand Pass Check Status
- Full Name
- Passport No.
- E-mail Address
- Access Code
- Date of Travel
- Date of Arrival
No Travel Ban for Travelers from Africa
Also from 11 January 2022, the CCSA approved the lifting of travel restrictions on arrivals from African countries. This means travelers from Africa will be allowed to apply for the Thailand Pass to enter the country. Fully vaccinated travelers will be allowed to enter under the Sandbox Programs or the Quarantine Program for those who are unvaccinated or those who are arriving in Bangkok airport regardless of vaccination status.
How to Book RT PCR Test for Phuket and Phang Nga Sandbox
Travelers who are applying for the Phuket or Phang Nga Sandbox are required to submit a receipt of the pre-paid COVID-19 RT-PCR tests in Phuket. The Sandbox program requires two RT-PCR tests; the first test will be conducted at Phuket Airport and the second test will be conducted at any of the swab test centers in Phuket.
- Go to www.thailandpsas.com and sign up.
- Provide flight and hotel information. You will be asked for your flight number, date and time of arrival and SHA+ accommodation details.
- Input your personal information like your gender, date of birth, nationality, and your passport number.
- Choose your swab test locations. Because the first swab test will be conducted at the Phuket International Airport, you can only choose the location for the second swab test. The swab test date will be automatically shown from the details you input in Step 1.
- Pay the fee. The fee for the RT-PCR tests is THB 4,200.
After payment, you will receive an email with a unique link to download the receipt. Please download the receipt and submit it together with your Hotel Confirmation Letter when you apply for the Phuket/Phang Nga Sandbox Thailand Pass.
Phuket SHA+ Hotels
With hundreds of hotels and resorts to choose from, we feature some of the best SHA Plus+ Hotels in Phuket:
Budget SHA+ Hotel
- IBIS Phuket Patong Hotel
- Hotel Clover Patong Phuket
- Patong Resort Hotel
- The Lantern Resorts Patong
- Sugar Marina Kata Beach
Deluxe SHA+ Hotel
- The Sea Galleri By Katathani
- DoubleTree by Hilton Phuket Banthai Resort
- Mövenpick Resort & Spa
- Courtyard by Marriott Phuket Town
- La Flora Resort Patong
Luxury SHA+ Hotel
For more Phuket Hotel options, please the link below:
COVID Insurance for Thailand
Based on experience, the common problem for Thailand Pass applications being rejected is that some insurance policies are not properly worded. Your COVID-19 insurance must expressly state that it covers up to 50,000 USD medical expenses including COVID-19 while in Thailand. You may use your own health insurance or purchase an insurance from your own country, however, it is recommended to purchase from an insurance company in Thailand such as AXA Insurance Thailand to make sure that you meet the requirement in obtaining the Thailand Pass successfully.
Some common problems with insurance documents submitted during the Thailand Pass process that will cause an application to be denied:
- Wrong coverage date. The policy must be effective before or on the date of arrival and during your entire length of stay.
- Your certificate of insurance must expressly state that it covers up to 50,000 USD medical expenses including COVID-19.
- Your insurance letter or certificate must contain the policy number and date of effectivity or start date.
To purchase the most reliable insurance that has never had any problem in the Thailand Pass application, please click the link below:
Siam Legal Visa and Thailand Pass Assistance
Package 1: 200 USD (Visa + Thailand Pass)
- Online Visa Consultation
- Extensive checklist of required documents
- Assistance in Thai e-visa application (non-immigrant O marriage visa and 60-day TR visa)
- Assistance in Thailand Pass application
- 3 to 4 weeks process
- Available in the US, UK, and Canada visa applications only
Package 2: 100 USD (Thailand Pass)
- Consultation with our Immigration Specialist
- Extensive checklist of required documents
- Assistance in Thailand Pass application (including Visa holders and Visa Exemption)
- 5 to 7 days process
- Available for Thai and foreign nationals
For the latest information, weekly updates, and guide about How To Travel to Thailand in 2022, you may check this page here: