Traveling through Test and Go, the quarantine-free travel to Thailand scheme would be the best way to enter Thailand right now, however, it requires you to be from eligible countries or low-risk countries to enter Thailand without quarantine upon arrival.
Travelers that are not from approved low-risk countries or travelers that are not eligible for the Test and Go scheme are still given the ability to travel to Thailand.
There are options that are given by the Thai government to travelers that are not eligible for the Test and Go scheme, but the options will still depend on your vaccination status:
- Blue Zone (Sandbox Program) – for fully vaccinated travelers for non-low-risk countries
- Happy Quarantine (Alternative Quarantine Program) – for unvaccinated travelers
What is the Blue Zone Sandbox Program
The Blue Zones are provinces that have completed at least 70% of their mass vaccinations and are ready to accept international visitors. The Blue Zones locations are also called Sandbox locations.
To be eligible to travel to Thailand through the Blue Zone Sandbox Program, you must be:
- Fully vaccinated tourists or travelers
- Traveling by air upon entering Thailand
In the Blue Zone Sandbox program travelers will be required to stay in a SHA+ hotel for 7 days before being able to travel to other destinations in Thailand.
What will happen within the 7-day stay in the Blue Zone Sandbox Program?
- Day 0-1: First Test through RT-PCR test
- Day 6-7: Second Test through Antigen Test Kit (ATK) or self-testing ATK.
After your 7 -day stay in a SHA+ hotel, you can then travel to other Thailand destinations freely. And if staying under 7 days, travelers will have to leave Thailand immediately after their planned stay.
Blue Zone Sandbox Destinations
There are 17 Blue Zone Sandbox destinations that you could choose from, here are all of the locations:
- Chon Buri (Banglamung, Pattaya, Si Racha, Ko Si Chang, and Sattahip – Na Jomtien and Bang Sarey)
- Chiang Mai (Mueang, Doi Tao, Mae Rim, and Mae Taeng)
- Trat (Ko Chang)
- Buri Ram (Mueang)
- Prachuap Khiri Khan (Hua Hin and Nong Kae)
- Phetchaburi (Cha-Am)
- Ranong (Ko Phayam)
- Rayong (Ko Samet)
- Loei (Chiang Khan)
- Samut Prakan (Suvarnabhumi Airport)
- Surat Thani (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, and Ko Tao)
- Nong Khai (Mueang, Sangkhom, Si Chiang Mai, and Tha Bo)
- Udon Thani (Mueang, Ban Dung, Kumphawapi, Na Yung, Nong Han, and Prachaksinlapakhom)
Thailand Entry Requirements for the Blue Zone Sandbox Program Travelers
To successfully enter Thailand through Blue Zone Sandbox Program, here are the requirements to present to authorities before departure and upon arrival that a traveler should have:
Thailand Pass QR Code
Obtain a Thailand Pass QR Code by applying here. You will have to fill in the necessary details and upload the required documents and wait for approval to obtain the QR Code.
Thailand Pass is the replacement for the Certificate of Entry (COE), to know more about it, read here.
Certificate of Vaccination
Proof showing that you are fully vaccinated will be needed.
The vaccine that is administered to you has to be one of the vaccines approved by the Thai Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) or by the World Health Organization (WHO) which was administered to you at least 14 days before your intended travel date.
For children that are under the age of 18, they are not required to be vaccinated, as long as their parents or guardians are.
Medical Certificate for COVID-19 Result
You are to obtain a negative RT-PCR Covid-19 test result. The result must be taken no longer than 72 hours before your intended travel date.
You will also need a Certificate of Recovery if you have recently recovered from COVID-19. It will serve as evidence that you have been free of COVID-19 for at least 3 months.
Travel Insurance or COVID-19 Insurance
You must purchase travel insurance or COVID-19 insurance with a minimum coverage of $50,000. It will cover all Covid-19-related incidences if ever you test positive from the tests.
You may get your COVID-19 Insurance here: https://u.axa.co.th/Sawasdee_Siamlegal
Payment Confirmation for SHA+ Hotel Reservation
You will have to book a SHA+ hotel for 7 days to be granted entry in Thailand. Your SHA+ hotel reservation shall include:
- RT-PCR COVID-19 Test
- Antigen Test Kit (ATK)
- Pre-arranged airport transfer
- Accommodation for at least 7 nights
List of Thailand SHA+ Hotels for Blue Zone Sandbox Program Travelers
- Aloft Bangkok – Sukhumvit 11
- Mövenpick Hotel Sukhumvit 15 Bangkok
- Citadines Sukhumvit 8 Bangkok
- Grande Centre Point Hotel Terminal 21
- Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Sukhumvit 11
- Royal President Hotel
- Solitaire Bangkok Sukhumvit 11
- GLOW Sukhumvit 5
- Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit
- Millennium Hilton Bangkok
- Shangri-La Bangkok
- The Peninsula Bangkok
- Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
- Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
- Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach
- Andamantra Resort and Villa Phuket
- Diamond Cliff Resort And Spa
- DoubleTree by Hilton Phuket Banthai Resort
- Wyndham Sea Pearl Resort Phuket
- Burasari Phuket
- Oceanfront Beach Resort
- Impiana Resort Patong
- Holiday Inn Express Phuket Patong Beach Central
- Ibis Phuket Patong Hotel
- Phi Phi Harbour View Hotel
- Phi Phi Cliff Beach Resort
- Phi Phi Long Beach Resort and Villa
- Paradise Resort Phi Phi
- SAii Phi Phi Island Village
- Phi Phi Holiday Resort
- Phi Phi Island Cabana Hotel
- PP Princess Resort
- Bhu Nga Thani Resort & Spa
There are many other approved SHA+ hotels that you can book depending on your desired location from the 17 Blue Zone Sandbox Destinations.
This article is only about Traveling to Thailand in Blue Zone Sandbox Program scheme, there are other schemes that the Thai governments have introduced like the:
- Test and Go (Quarantine-Free travel to Thailand)
- Happy Quarantine (Alternative Quarantine) – for unvaccinated travelers
Please choose the scheme that fits you as a traveler entering Thailand.