This Weekly Update was originally posted on December 23, 2021. For the most recent update, click here.
To sign-up for our Weekly Updates, please click here.
Temporary Suspension of Test & Go and Sandbox Applications
Thailand Pass system has temporarily suspended new applications for the Test & Go and Sandbox Programs (except Phuket Sandbox), starting 22 December 2021 until further notice.
New measures apply for all applicants on Thailand Pass, as follows;
- Travelers who have received their Thailand Pass QR Code can still enter Thailand under the date of arrival and program they have been approved for.
- Applicants who have registered, but have not received their Thailand Pass QR Code must wait for their Thailand Pass to be considered/approved. Once approved, they can enter Thailand under the program they have been approved for.
- New applicants will not be able to register for the Test and Go and Sandbox Programs (except Phuket Sandbox). Thailand Pass system will only accept new applications seeking to enter Thailand under Alternative Quarantine (AQ) or Phuket Sandbox only.
Test and Go Thailand Pass QR Code Will Remain Valid
To be clear, this is NOT a closure of the borders. The Test and Go and Sandbox programs are not canceled or suspended.
It is just a temporary suspension of the new applications for Test & Go and the Blue Zone Sandbox (except for Phuket Sandbox) Programs. Everything else will continue as normal.
- If you have already applied for a Thailand Pass under Test & Go and Sandbox, your application is still being processed. We are still observing applications being approved each day even after the suspension of new applications.
- If your application is approved, you will be able to come under the original conditions stated in your Thailand Pass. This means, for Test & Go, you only need to stay for one night in the hotel, wait for the results for the first test and then you are free to go.
- If your application is rejected, you will need to re-apply and enter via the Phuket Sandbox or Quarantine program. If you think your rejection was a mistake, you may email the Thailand Pass System at [email protected].th or call +66 65 205 4247 or +66 65 205 4248.
There Is No January 10 Cut-Off
One very important piece of information that the Thai media got wrong is the cut-off date for arriving in Thailand. Basically, there isn’t one. Earlier this week, the media were saying you must arrive before 10th January if you don’t want to do quarantine. That is not correct. You can still arrive on the date that was approved on your application or as stated in your Thailand Pass. For example, if you said you are arriving on January 20, then you still can use the Test & Go QR Code, stay for one night in the Test and Go hotel and wait for the test results; after which, you can travel to other parts of Thailand.
Phuket Sandbox: Enter Thailand Without Quarantine
Travelers who are fully vaccinated can still enter Thailand without quarantine under the Phuket Sandbox program:
- Phuket Sandbox stay will be 7 nights, unless travelers have proof of return tickets leaving Phuket (to another country) before 7 days.
- Travelers must book an SHA+ Hotel in Phuket for at least 7 nights before they can stay in a non-SHA+ hotel or accommodation, private residence or before they are allowed to travel to other parts of Thailand.
- Travelers under the Phuket Sandbox will be allowed to travel around the island of Phuket and they are not confined in their hotel rooms during their Sandbox stay. They are allowed to participate in tours and other activities in Phuket.
- Travelers for Phuket Sandbox must arrive in Phuket Airport from abroad. You cannot qualify for Phuket Sandbox if your flight itinerary has a stop in Bangkok, so do not book a flight with stop or transit in Bangkok. You can fly direct to Phuket or you may fly to Phuket via Finland, UAE, Qatar or Singapore.
- Travelers must book in advance their RT-PCR COVID test at Phuket Airport through this website: https://www.thailandpsas.com/
Phuket SHA+ Hotels
With hundreds of hotels and resorts to choose from, we feature some of the best SHA+ Hotels in Phuket for your Phuket Sandbox stay.
Budget SHA+ Hotel
Deluxe SHA+ Hotel
Luxury SHA+ Hotel
For more Phuket SHA+ Hotel options, please the link below:
COVID Insurance for Thailand
Based on experience, the common problem for Thailand Pass applications being rejected is that some insurance policies are not properly worded. Your COVID-19 insurance must expressly state that it covers up to 50,000 USD medical expenses including COVID-19 while in Thailand. You may use your own health insurance or purchase an insurance from your own country, however, it is recommended to purchase from an insurance company in Thailand such as AXA Insurance Thailand to make sure that you meet the requirement in obtaining the Thailand Pass successfully.
Some common problems with insurance documents submitted during the Thailand Pass process that will cause an application to be denied:
- Wrong coverage date. The policy must be effective before or on the date of arrival and during your entire length of stay.
- Your certificate of insurance must expressly state that it covers up to 50,000 USD medical expenses including COVID-19.
- Your insurance letter or certificate must contain the policy number and date of effectivity or start date.
To purchase the most reliable insurance that has never had any problem in the Thailand Pass application, please click the link below:
Siam Legal Visa and Thailand Pass Assistance
Package 1: 200 USD (Visa + Thailand Pass)
- Online Visa Consultation
- Extensive checklist of required documents
- Assistance in Thai e-visa application (non-immigrant O marriage visa and 60-day TR visa)
- Assistance in Thailand Pass application
- 3 to 4 weeks process
- Available in the US, UK, and Canada visa applications only
Package 2: 100 USD (Thailand Pass)
- Consultation with our Immigration Specialist
- Extensive checklist of required documents
- Assistance in Thailand Pass application (including Visa holders and Visa Exemption)
- 5 to 7 days process
- Available for Thai and foreign nationals
For the latest information, weekly updates and guide about How To Travel to Thailand in 2022, you may check this page here: