Do I need a re-entry permit?

Thai Re-entry Permit

Hi I live in Thailand on a retirement visa and have a valid UK passport. And I’m going to the UK England for 10 days in September to see my family. Do I need any type of visa for the trip? I am a UK national.

A British passport holder on a Thai retirement visa does not require any type of visa to enter back in the UK. You just need to make sure to leave the country with a re-entry permit, to keep your visa valid. A re-entry permit could be applied from the Thai Immigration office or at the Re-entry permit airport counters in Thailand. A Single re-entry permit costs 1,000 THB and a Multiple reentry permit costs 3,800 THB.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a Reply to Alejandro González-serna Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Yesica
    April 7, 2020

    Hello, good afternoon, my re-entry is valid until April 10 and my non-immigrant visa expires on April 9; and I can’t leave India until at least April 16 and I wanted to know if I could do something to extend it, unfortunately, I am also far from the Thai embassy in India.

    • April 8, 2020

      No, the Thai embassy in India cannot extend your visa. When the travel restriction is lifted, you can get a new Non Immigrant B visa to enter Thailand and you can apply for a new work permit.

  2. Joy Blanco
    January 18, 2020

    My boyfriend is nicaraguan and i am filipina. We are planning on spending time in thailand for a week. I know that as a filipino, we don’t need visa to enter Thailand as long as it will not exceed 30 days. My question is, can my nicaraguan boyfriend apply a tourist visa in manila, philippines, though he is not a resident of Philippines. Or can he apply to any Thai Embassy?

    Awaiting for your reply as we really want to visit Thailand this coming March 2020.

    • January 31, 2020


      Yes, your Nicaraguan boyfriend is required to obtain a Thai tourist visa prior to traveling to Thailand. Normally, it is possible to apply for a Thai tourist visa anywhere in the world as long as the nationality of the applicant is not a listed country. As for Nicaragua, it is not a listed country, therefore he can apply in the Philippines if he is currently located in the Philippines.

  3. Michelle G
    August 1, 2019

    I am from Ireland. I am traveling for 35 days. I will be heading to Thailand for 4 days then heading to Cambodia for 4 days. I will then return to Thailand for 27 more days. My query is, will I get a new 30-day visa upon arrival from Cambodia? Or is there an issue that I arrive on day 1 and leave on day 35 even though I am not in Thailand that whole time? Must I leave Thailand to go to Cambodia and re-enter via air? Can you please advise me.

    • August 21, 2019

      Dear Michelle,

      Good day! You do not need a re-entry permit. As Irish, you are entitled to have a visa exemption stamp every time you enter Thailand. It means that when you enter Thailand for the first time, you will be given 30 days maximum stay. You will be in Thailand during that time for 4 days only. When you return to Thailand from Cambodia, you will be given a new visa exemption stamp. You will be allowed to stay up to 30 days. There is no fee for both visa exemption stamps. You only need to have a passport valid for your flight back to Ireland and your hotel accommodation in Thailand. You also need to show, if asked, proof of funds which is around 20,000 THB.

  4. Alejandro González-serna
    July 18, 2018

    We are from Spain. We obtained a visa for 30 days in Thailand. We traveled to Vietnam for a couple of weeks and we are going back to Thailand for a couple of days to take our flight back to Spain. We don’t need to extend our current visa.
    Do we need something to re-enter in Thailand? Are we good with our current visa to take the flight?
    Thanks a lot.


    • July 18, 2018

      Spain passport holder can enter Thailand under visa exemption for 30day per entry. Therefore, if you entered Thailand on a 30day entry and you went to Vietnam and comeback to Thailand, you will get another 30 days to stay again. Bring your passport and your ticket back to Spain.

  5. Salahuddin
    June 13, 2018

    Re-entry visa required any additional empty page in passport?

  6. Jingning
    November 15, 2016

    I’m Chinese with Chinese passport. I will visit Thailand from 29 Nov to 3 Dec to attend a meeting with a non-immigrant visa. Then I will visit Thailand again for traveling from 14-21 December. Could I apply for re-entry visa when I leave Thailand on 3 December?

    • November 16, 2016

      If your Non Immigrant Visa is still valid on your next trip to Thailand (December 14-21), you can apply for a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand so that you can use the same visa on your second entry.

  7. Cerelito Caluag
    January 4, 2016

    Good day! I do have this concern from the immigration officer that stamped my passport with the incorrect validity date of stay (valid only for 1 month)
    I do have a visa and work permit valid until 12 May 2016.

    • January 5, 2016

      Please visit the nearest immigration office for further advise on your concern.

  8. ERIKA
    December 8, 2015


    Im from Ecuador. I have a single entry visa for Thailand, but I have to leave the country and re-entry 17 days later. Can I ask for a re-entry permit at the airport in Bangkok?


  9. Graham Waddington
    November 4, 2015

    do I need a degree to work in Thailand

    • November 4, 2015

      Having a degree is definitely an advantage, although the desired qualification in order to be employed in Thailand will depend on the type of job and the company who will provide you employment.

  10. Manoj
    September 15, 2015


    I am an Indian and I will be visiting Bangkok for an official meeting with a single entry visa. However I wish to go to Cambodia (Angkor temples) for 4 days and come back via Poipet.

    Can I obtain a single re-entry permit after arrival in Bangkok and make the above mentioned journey? Please advise.

    Thanks you.

    • September 17, 2015

      You will need to apply for a re-entry permit before traveling to Cambodia and you will have to make sure that you’ll be able to return back to Thailand within the validity period of your visa. Therefore, going to Cambodia for 4 days should not be a problem if you have a re-entry permit and your visa is still valid on the date of your return to Thailand.

    • Manoj
      September 17, 2015

      Thank you, its relieving to know that.

      Just one query: Will the Thai immigration office 1 as given on the following page issue re-entry permit. I am asking this because I will have a single entry business visa and the only time I will have to apply for this permit will be just the next day after landing:

      If the above option is risky then I can come back via flight and get a visa on arrival and exit Bangkok. However, the travel will become costlier.

      Pls advise.

      I thank you for your support.

    • September 21, 2015

      Yes, you may apply for the re-entry permit at the Thai Immigration Division 1. Once you enter Thailand, you will need to apply for the re-entry permit before making an exit trip. This is regardless if you just stayed inside Thailand for a very short period of time.

  11. matteo
    August 28, 2015

    Hi I’m Italian citizen with Italian passport. I’m going come to Thailand with tourist visa (tr2) double entry. Is it possible to keep my visa valid for second entry in Thailand if I stay out of Thailand more than 90 days? Thank you.

    • September 1, 2015

      Hi Matteo,

      You should still be able to use your second entry as long as you are traveling back to Thailand within the date of visa validity.