Temporary Suspension of Visa Stamp Issuance in Cambodia

Thailand Cambodia border

My 30-day visa exempt stamp is about to expire next week. I wish to extend my stay here in Thailand for a few more weeks and I was informed by a friend that I can obtain another 30 days at any border checkpoints. My location right now is close to Aranyaprathet border. However, I heard that they no longer issue the visa exempt stamp to foreigners. Is this new policy already in effect?

Yes, the Thailand immigration in all border checkpoints in Cambodia (including the one in Aranyaprathet – Poi Pet border) is temporarily not issuing 15-day and 30-day immigration exempt stamp to border runners. This sudden move has taken effect on September 13, 2015. The new restrictions may be connected to the recent bombing incidents in Bangkok where the foreign man who is believed to be the primary suspect has been arrested on a Cambodian border.

On the other hand, foreigners who wish to activate their exit/entry obligation (for tourist visa and non-immigrant “B”,”ED” or “O” visa type) at the Cambodian borders may still do so.

Also, as a recommendation to border runners, they may take a trip to Malaysia, Myanmar or Laos as the immigration policies on issuance of visa exempt stamp in those countries are still the same.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



    April 16, 2018

    I am planning a trip to Thailand arriving 02/12/2018 and departing 28/01/2019. I will be a tourist. How do I apply for the correct visa? Thank you.

    • June 4, 2018

      If you will stay longer than 30days, you need to apply a Thai tourist visa. You will get 60days entry plus 30days extension. If you need more information, you can email at [email protected]

  2. sam
    October 3, 2016

    Can we get a visa on arrival at Aranyaprathet Check Point on our way to Bangkok from Siem Reap?

    • October 4, 2016

      While the border is listed on some Thai embassy pages as issuing visa on arrivals, the information may not be updated. It would be best for you to check with an embassy or consulate near you.

  3. Muskan
    June 24, 2016

    One of my friend got old valid passport which is handwritten so can she get visa on arrival

    • June 28, 2016

      As long as she has a passport from an eligible country and valid for at least 6 months at the time of her application, she can apply for a visa on arrival.

  4. Aaron
    June 2, 2016

    I was just at Chaengwattana today and the immigration officer told me to “go to Cambodia border and get 30 day stamp” so they must be doing it again now.
    But I also have a question. Do I still need to get a Cambodia visa, just to get a Thai 30 day stamp in my passport?

    • June 10, 2016

      Because you will need to go through immigration of Cambodia after receiving your exit stamp from Thai immigration, you need to find out if the passport you hold entitles you to visa free entry into Cambodia. Otherwise, you need to apply for a visa for Cambodia.

  5. Roselyn
    May 23, 2016

    I am Filipino. I want to know what documents I need to tour Thailand.

    • May 27, 2016

      Kindly contact the Thai embassy in Manila for the best visa option for your trip and the requirements depending on the visa you will apply for, if any.

  6. JaCa
    April 8, 2016

    We are currently in Cambodia and would like to enter Thailand by land for a stay of maximum 3 days before taking an international flight from Bangkok. Our nationalities are Swiss and Spanish. We have already been in Thailand for 5 days end of February 2016. Is it correct that we can enter Thailand again with no visa?

  7. Karen
    March 11, 2016

    I have a single entry tourist visa from USA California. I just got an extension of 30 days at the immigration office. How Can I stay for more time afterwards? If I go to Lao or Vietnam, how can I come back in with a dingle entry? Thanks in advance

    • March 25, 2016

      You can go to Laos or Vietnam and apply for a single entry tourist visa again. This is good for a new 60 days stay in Thailand.

    • Wayne Pridgen
      March 28, 2016

      I am from The United States and here as a tourist for 25 days. I would like to extend my stay in Thailand for additional 30 days if allowed by The Thai Government. I understand I will need A 30 day Visa . May I make an appointment with The Thai Embassy in Bangkok to obtain the required Visa.

      1. I have my Passport, a return airline ticket that the return date can be changed,
      2. my Hotel in Bangkok where I am staying,
      3. my local Cell phone Number is 0928 XXXXXX

      I would like to come to the Thai Embassy and do this right away. Please reply. Thank you for your assistance.

    • April 6, 2016

      You may apply for an extension at the nearest Immigration Office in your area.

  8. Stacey
    March 7, 2016

    I am not living in my home country at the moment. How can I apply for the tourist visa?

    • March 25, 2016

      That depends on your nationality. If your nationality is listed on that you can only apply for any type of visa in your home country, you must return there and apply for the visa. If your country is US or UK for example, you can apply for a tourist visa in the country where you are currently located or a resident of.

  9. Marco
    February 17, 2016

    We (German citizens) plan to come for 20 days to Thailand as tourists.
    Does this new rule prevent us from a 2-day trip to Cambodia?
    Is it possible to reenter Thailand without a visa on the Cambodia/Thailand border?

    • March 3, 2016

      Yes, it’s possible to re-enter Thailand without a visa if you will be staying inside the country for a maximum period of 30 days each time, and if the purpose of the trip is for tourism only.

  10. Jodie
    October 27, 2015

    Me and my friend are currently in Thailand with a single entry 60 day visa and wish to extend it for another 30 days, how do we do this?

    • October 27, 2015

      You may visit any immigration office in Thailand to apply for an extension of 30 days.