1-year Multi Entry Non-immigrant Visa

Thai Visas in Penang

I am confused, I obtained a non immigrant visa from my home country, do I need to go and exit the country every 3 months? Some of my friends did not exit the country, what will I do?

The one-year non-immigrant visa issued in your home country would require a 90-day visa run in Thailand. If, however, you have already extended your non-immigrant visa to a longer visa, extended retirement visa or an extended marriage visa, at the Thai immigration office, the 90-day visa run is no longer needed. You do however need to do the 90-day reporting of your address at Thai immigration when the visa has been extended for 12 months.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Nickie Stephenson
    February 6, 2024

    Hi there, we are on NON O 90 day visas and our kids are on ED visas. We are soon going to extend to 1 year but our current visa is single entry not multiple entry. Does this mean we can’t leave Thailand to travel elsewhere and if so, can we change our visas to multi entry visas when we extend them? Thanks.

    • February 12, 2024

      Hello, Nickie Stephenson.
      You can leave the country by applying for a re-entry permit at the immigration office or at the international airport before you leave the country if you are on a single-entry visa.

  2. Ana
    July 16, 2020

    Dear sirs.
    In case what there still no any official information about Visas for foreigners after 31 of July I need to clear my situation with Non-O 1-year multiple visa what I have (following Non-B visa of my husband). It was expired at 2 of July and where is now no any chance to get new in Thai Embassy (all countries around are still closed). I live on Koh Phangan. Here is no Immigration Office. It is on Koh Samui only. Please, can you answer me – How can I renew (or extend) my Visa Non-O before 31 of July and what documents I need to prepare for that? The situation is very confusing for me. Hope you can give me the answer. Thanks a lot!

    • July 20, 2020

      Dear Ana,
      Yes, you must deal with the Thai Immigration Office in Samui. If you are still qualified to get a Non-immigrant O visa (normally in Malaysia), you can do it in Samui since immigration offices are encouraged to be lenient and they might be able to. if the Samui Immigration will totally not issue the non-immigrant O visa, you can ask for a 30-day extension and then after that, you need to leave Thailand.
      Thank you.

  3. A. Brown
    March 26, 2020

    I have a non-immigrant multi-entry O visa based on marriage to a Thai national obtained in Laos and expires at the end of July 2020. I have already done two 90 day border runs and the next one is due at the end of April. What are my options if Thailand’s road borders remain closed?

    • If the land borders will remain closed, you have an option to apply for the 60-day temporary extension for having a Thai wife. You and your Thai wife will visit your local immigration office to apply for this extension. For the extension, you just have to submit proof of marriage, one passport size photo (4cm x 6cm) with white background, TM6 departure card, TM30 receipt from your hotel and pay the fee of 1,900 Thai baht.

  4. George Palmer
    September 6, 2018

    I am taking a cruise from Singapore, which will call in at Kuala Lumpur and Phuket before returning to Singapore.

    I understand that as UK passport holder, I do not need a visa for this entry into Thailand?


    the following week, I will be taking another cruise ship that will call at Laem Chabang (Bangkok). before returning to Singapore.

    My concern is that it is within 30 days, that this may be considered as “Multiple entry” and I will need a re-entry visa.

    Please can you advise

    • September 10, 2018

      For UK passport holder, you can enter Thailand under visa exemption for 30days per entry. You dont need to apply for a multiple entry or any visa. Whenever you enter Thailand, you will get 30days.

  5. bradford moore
    August 13, 2018

    when I leave Thailand to go to my home country of Australia.How ssoon can I return on a 30 day tourist visa

    • August 16, 2018

      You can comeback anytime and get 30days entry if you dont have visa. Regards- John

  6. July 19, 2018

    so you are saying that i can apply for a long stay visa in thailand
    i thought a farang had to apply for this visa in his own country

  7. Philip Kahansky
    April 6, 2018

    I have a one year, non imm O visa, can I go to an immigration office every 90 days, or do I have to leave the country?

    • June 1, 2018

      If you obtain your Non-immigrant O visa at the Thai embassy, you need to leave the country every 90days. If you obtain the Non-immigrant O visa inside Thailand, you need to do the reporting at the Thai immigration office only.

  8. Maureen Botha
    April 4, 2018


    I am South African and I am interested in retiring in Thailand and possibly open a small business, craft related.

    Please could you advise what the best option would be for me to obtain all the relevant information as I see from the wesite that you can only spend 1 year in Thailand on a retirement VISA.

    Appreciate your assitance and guidance on the above.

    Many Thanks,

    • June 1, 2018

      Hi Maureen,

      If you want to set up a company in Thailand kindly send our lawyer an email at [email protected]
      we will be able to assist you on this matter as well as your visa to Thailand.


  9. Paul Evans
    October 7, 2016

    I am a Board Member of an Australian Register Charity that supports a Hilltribe Children’s Home in Northern Thailand. Along with our Thai counterpart we are both incorporated entities one in Australia and the other here in Thailand. We have a partnership agreement between us and the Australian Charity has Government approved Donor Gift Recipient (DGR) status, where Sponsors and Donors can claim tax deductions for contributions.

    The Australian Charity raises the funds and the Thai entity implements the approved projects/program to support the children through child care, education in the Thai system and provision.

    My wife and I are self-funded site managers representing the Australian Board and our Australian and NZ Sponsors. We have volunteered onsite since May 2017. At an operations level this involves coordination of volunteer teams, assistance with child care and strategic planning, as well as project management.

    To date we have been permitted to stay in Thailand for 90 days via Non-Immigrant Visas issued in Australia. Are we eligible to apply for 12 month multiple entry Visas? What exactly would they permit us to do as inbound and outbound persons?

    Thank you for you attention and thanks again in advance for your assistance.


    • October 11, 2016

      Applying for the 12-month multiple entry visa requires that a Thai registered company sponsors your visa application as well as a work permit. However, based on your situation, this may not be applicable.

      It is best that you get in touch with the Thai embassy or consulate in Australia for the best visa option specific to your case.

  10. S.M.Farid
    September 15, 2016

    I have a Registered Company in Thailand. I would like to apply for a 1 year Non Immigrant Business Visa. I have the copy of my Company yearly return as well. Is it possible for me to apply for a 3 year business visa directly before applying for a 1 year visa? Kindly advise.

    • September 17, 2016

      If you are able to meet the requirements to obtain the 3-year Non Immigrant B Visa, then you may apply for this immediately. Please get in touch with the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country.

  11. jona
    August 29, 2016

    I work here at Thailand almost 1 year and I have a 2 years contract with Thai company. But I want to have vacation at my country can I leave? Thailand for 3 months and be back again to work? And is it not against Re-entry conditions? Thank you

    • August 31, 2016

      There is no set time period. As long as you return to Thailand within the validity of your visa and re-entry permit, it will be alright.

  12. Pedro
    August 8, 2016

    Hi! I already did my non-Immigrant visa in Penang, Malaysia on 28th of May 2016. Now it is almost 3 weeks left for me to leave Thailand. The problem is, I still not get my work permit. May I know what is the problem regarding it? My employer said that it is normal if work permit needs longer time to be completed. And according to them too, I have to leave Thailand and apply for another non-Immigrant visa (single entry) for another 90 days. I need the clarification regarding my work permit process. Thank you

  13. Greg
    May 31, 2016

    I have a one-year multiple entry non-immigrant visa for Thailand issued in the United States, which expires this month. Is it possible to extend/renew while still in Thailand or one of the surrounding countries?

    Is it possible to get a 90-day extension while still in Thailand?

    Returning to the US is not a viable option this month, however not impossible within 90 days. Please advise! Thank you very much!

    – Greg

    • June 10, 2016

      You may exit Thailand and re-enter through one of the land borders before your current 1-year visa expires. This will allow you another 90 days stay upon entry.

  14. Ron Jones
    April 23, 2016

    The Thai Consulate, Liverpool website for a 90-day multiple entry tourist visa has one requirement that states:

    A letter from the applicant’s employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Consulate) stating length of service and expected return to work. If you are self-employed your self-assessment form.

    I am retired, so are my UK government pension letters, addressed to me, enough for this requirement? Otherwise, what is needed?

    • April 27, 2016

      If you are applying for a tourist visa, then any documents which prove that you are already retired should suffice. You will also need to provide itineraries, booked hotels or intended place of residence or stay and proof of sufficient finances. For more details, it’s best that you contact the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate directly.

  15. ado
    April 11, 2016

    I travel to Thailand frequently. I was told I need a visa because I have travelled within 90 days in a year. But the website states 90 days within 6 months. I have not exceeded that in 6 months. It is a bit confusing. can you help me please?

    • April 25, 2016

      Please contact the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate in your area regarding your concern.

  16. Ken K
    January 6, 2016


    First of all Happy New Year!

    I’m from Estonia. I would like to know how I can acquire the tourist visa (90 days), because I want to go traveling to Thailand.

    I will only have a one-way ticket (I don’t know where I’m heading next) and I’m staying at my friends apartment. Is there a possibility that there will be problems at the Thailand border, when I arrive to Singapore/Bangkok? How can I solve those problems?

    What processes do I have to go through to get the tourist visa?

    Thank you so much for the time.

    • January 7, 2016

      It is best if you can apply for the tourist visa from your home country. Please contact or visit the Thai Embassy for information on the tourist visa application process and requirements.

  17. Denis
    October 29, 2015

    Hey, I am Irish and was planning on doing a training camp in Thailand for 2 months, and I was wondering if Irish citizens are able to stay in Thailand without a visa for a 2 month period.


    • October 30, 2015

      When you travel to Thailand without a visa, you will be given a 30 days stamp at the airport upon your arrival. Then you may apply for another 30 days extension at the immigration office inside Thailand; thus, giving you a total of 60 days.

  18. natalie burggraf
    October 25, 2015

    May I obtain a visa upon entry into Thailand from US at airport?

    • October 27, 2015

      Depending on your nationality, you may obtain a visa exempt stamp and be permitted to stay in Thailand for 30 days without a visa.

  19. D J Smith
    June 6, 2015

    What visa is required for a 4/5month stay as i am 63 yrs old and have a min income of £1800 p/mth

    • June 8, 2015


      In order for you to stay in Thailand for 4 to 5 months, you would need to apply for a visa. One option is for you to apply for a double-entry visa which will give you a maximum of 6 months stay in Thailand. However, you will need to exit the country after the first 3 months and then come back to Thailand and use the remaining 3 months.

      Another option is for you to apply for a Retirement Visa from your home country.

      If you wish to talk to us to know more about your visa options, you may send an email to us at [email protected] or contact us at 0207-101-9301 (UK).