Copy of my Thai marriage certificate?

Thai Marriage Certificate

If someone got married in Thailand and they now live in America, how would they go about getting a copy of their marriage certificate/license in Thailand?

The Couples who wish to obtain a copy of their marriage certificates in Thailand involves different procedure such as providing a Power of Attorney certified or notarized by the Thai embassy or consulate in the US. It should go together with the Id card of the Thai party.

In any case that the married couple is a foreign national, aside from providing a Power of attorney from the Thai embassy or consulate abroad, one must provide the correct Thai translations of their names used for the registration. It is also a must to provide which district office the marriage has been registered in Thailand. Please also know that only the marriage addendum can be requested from the district office.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. mr michael hobson
    November 1, 2016

    I got married in Bangkok legally but now getting divorced to my Thai wife but need marriage certificate. What should I do?

    • November 2, 2016

      You may get in touch with one of the district offices in Thailand to obtain a copy of your marriage registration document. If you are unable to obtain one in person, you may send an email to [email protected] for assistance.

  2. Siobhán Horsfield
    July 19, 2016

    Do you know the details for the District office for Kanchababuri? I need to find out if my Father was married in Thailand as he is now deceased. Thank you

    • August 1, 2016

      Kindly refer below to the details of the Kanchanaburi district office.

      Address: Pak Phraek, Mueang Kanchanaburi District, Kanchanaburi 71000
      Tel: 0-3451-1040

  3. Tan Tiam Fatt
    April 19, 2016

    Hi, I am a Malaysian but I want register marriage wife my Thailand girlfriend at Thailand, so may I know what should I need prepare and what should I need to do? Thank a lot for those who give me answer.

    • April 25, 2016

      You will need to obtain a document regarding your marital status. This document must be issued by the Malaysian government with stamp from Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You will take that document here together with your passport to apply for the Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from your embassy in Bangkok.

      For more information, please send an email to [email protected] to contact our Marriage Registration Specialist.

  4. Laor ODonnell
    April 16, 2016

    Hello. My husband, who has just passed away, and I were married in Thailand in 1975. He was a servicemember at the time and a US Citizen. I was born in Bangkok but am now a Legal Resident in the US and have been living here since 1976. I need a copy of our marriage certificate. We got married in Bangkok in 1975. What should be my first step at receiving a copy?

    • April 25, 2016

      If your concern is regarding obtaining a copy of the marriage certificate, then you may request one from the District Office or Amphur where it was registered in 1975.

  5. Chester Timothy Chin
    March 19, 2016

    Hi, I am a Malaysian and My Fiance is a Thai-Citizen, we are going to Bangkok today. 19-March-2016. Can someone lead us how do she get her “Certificate of Single Status”. We are going to register our marriage in Malaysia first , then will be registering our marriage thing in Thailand on July. Million thanks in advance.

    • March 25, 2016

      She has to get this in hometown. She has to go to the amphur and bring her ID card and Tabien Baan. The district office or amphur’s registrar will issue this certificate.

  6. Simone Thomas
    February 18, 2016

    How do I find out if a couple were married in Thailand? One of them is now deceased. Thank you

    • March 3, 2016

      You will have to check with the district office in Thailand if you wish to verify whether a marriage has been registered or not.

  7. Dawes
    September 22, 2015

    I am looking to have our marriage certificate from the United Kingdom translated to Thai in order for my wife to have her Thai ID card updated from her maiden name to her new married name. Is there a service provided by the Thai Embassy? If not then where is the proper place to accomplish a certified translated copy?

    • September 22, 2015

      We do provide assistance with translation of documents and certification of translated copies. If you want to know more about our translation service, please leave your phone number and/or email address and we will contact you as soon as we can.

    • Richard Voirin
      October 27, 2020

      I’m interested in getting U.S. divorce decree translated to thai. So me an my thai fiancé can get married in 2021

    • October 28, 2020

      Dear Richard,
      Good day.
      I believe our lawyers have already sent you an email about legal marriage and the service for translation.
      Thank you.

  8. Karen Dawson
    May 18, 2015

    I have a client who’s mother-in-law is from Thailand…here with a Green card for 30 years. What will she need to go back to visit Thailand?

    • May 19, 2015

      Hi Karen Dawson,

      When a citizen of Thailand is able to obtain a citizenship or permanent residency from another country, he/she does not automatically lose his/her Thai citizenship. As long as she has a valid Thai passport, she can travel back to Thailand anytime.