Foreigners getting married in Thailand

Getting Married in Thailand

We are currently in Thailand and need a question answered. Can an Indian guy and German girl get married in Thailand and will the marriage certificate be valid in both India and Germany?

The marriage registration in Thailand is applicable for foreigners marrying Thai nationals or other foreigners. But, please be informed that an affirmation of freedom to marry should be obtained first from your respective embassies. Unfortunately, the Indian embassy in Thailand does not issue an affirmation of freedom to marry for Indian passport holders who do not reside or work in Thailand. Thus, it is necessary to contact the embassy for further details.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. wawa
    June 29, 2024

    hi im from malaysia. since thailand already announce about same sex may married n legal in thailand. can us married in thailand?

    • July 2, 2024

      Hello, Wawa.

      Yes, Thailand has legalized same-sex marriages in Thailand. However, it will only come into effect 120 days after it’s been legalized.

  2. lee
    October 16, 2023

    Hi, I am woman and my girl friend, both of us are lving in Vietnam, Can we travel to Thailand and get married in Thailand? who should I contact to please. thank you

    • February 14, 2024

      Hello, Lee.

      As of this moment, Thailand does not support same-sex marriage, so you both will not be able to get married in Thailand.

  3. Tim
    April 20, 2022

    I am a Sri Lankan and going marry a Myanmar girl in Thailand. Both of us living out side Thailand. Please let me know about required documents to register the marriage in Thailand

    • April 20, 2022

      Hi Tim,

      You both will need a passport and an affidavit that confirms that you are free to marriage. You have to request for this affidavit from the embassy on your own.
      After all the documents are ready, you can contact our lawyer for future procedures.

  4. joj
    August 14, 2020

    hi, i’m in Philippines and my fiancé is in France, can we go to Thailand just to get married?

    If it is okay, what are the requirements and process?

    Who do we contact?

    Thank you, appreciate your response!

    • August 14, 2020

      Generally speaking, yes, you may come to Thailand to get married as long as the French and Philippine Embassy in Bangkok allows you to get married in Thailand. However, there might be a problem with the French, the embassy might not allow him to marry because he does not reside in Thailand. Another difficulty is that Thailand has a travel ban until end of August which might be extended until December 31.
      Thank you.

  5. Maria
    July 5, 2020

    I am German and my partner is Russian. Can we get married in Thailand? If yes – how?

    • July 7, 2020

      Dear Maria,
      If you are in Thailand right now and your embassies are open, yes, you can get married in Thailand. To start the process, you need to visit or set up an appointment with your embassy to secure the marriage affirmation and certified copy of passports.
      Thank you.

  6. Paul Geppert
    June 30, 2020

    Hi, I am a German citizen and my girlfriend is vietnamese, we want to get married in Thailand. Can you help to tell us what we need to get this done? Thanks you very much

    • June 30, 2020

      Dear Paul,
      If both of you are resident of Thailand and holders of long term Thai visas, yes, it is possible to legally get married in Thailand. If both of you are tourists only, the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok will now allow her to get married to a non-Thai national.
      Thank you.

  7. Honey
    July 20, 2017

    My fiancé is French and I’m Filipina working in Thailand.

    Since we wanted to get married in Thailand.

    Does he really need to obtain a house certificate, which he doesn’t have because he just got back from work abroad in Africa? Or can he just come to Thailand and submit a certificate to marry without house certificate?

    Thank you

    • August 11, 2017

      The French embassy here in Thailand has a different set of requirements for French national who want to marry here in Thailand if they only have a Tourist visa. In order to obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry from the French embassy in Thailand, the set of requirements must be satisfied.

  8. Maire Sive
    January 31, 2017

    Hello! My fiancé is French and I’m from the Philippines. I’m working here in Thailand but he works in France. Is it possible for us to get married here in Thailand? Does he need an affirmation to marry from French embassy in Bangkok or he can get it at a consulate in France? Thank you for your response.

    • March 17, 2017

      Thank you for contacting us regarding your concern. As long as your fiance’s embassy in Thailand can provide him with the affidavit to marry legally in Thailand, yes, both of you can get married in Thailand. He need to get this at the French embassy in Thailand. Should you have further questions or you require assistance from our Thai marriage expert, please send an email to [email protected].

  9. Husnain Malik
    November 14, 2016

    I’m from Pakistan and wanna get marry with my girlfriend which is in Thailand. What should I do? Tell me easiest way please.

    Thank you.

    • November 16, 2016

      In order to legally register your marriage in Thailand, you will need to do the following:

      1. Obtain the Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from your embassy
        • Please get in touch with your embassy in Bangkok to inquire about their requirements for the issuance of the Affidavit:
          Telephone No: (+662) 2530288, (+662) 2530289
          Email: [email protected], [email protected]
      2. Have the affidavit translated to Thai
      3. Have the translation legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
      4. Register you marriage at the district office

      Your fiance will need to prepare the following for the marriage registration:

      • Thai ID card
      • Tabien Baan or House Registration Document

      If you or your fiance have been married previously, please also bring your divorce documents or death certificate of your spouse in case of death.

  10. Paul
    October 31, 2016

    I am in America and my Thai girlfriend is in Thailand. I want to marry her and live in America. What’s my best option?

  11. Jane zhu
    October 23, 2016

    Two foreign nationals, Vietnamese and Dutch who got married in Thailand have to go back to Thailand for a divorce?

    • October 26, 2016

      Depending on the type of divorce you wish to obtain, you may or may not be asked to come to Thailand to register the divorce. For your reference, there are two types of divorce.

      The first is the uncontested divorce where both of you have a mutual agreement on your separation. In this case, you are not required to come to Thailand unless you have a child who is considered a minor.

      The second is the contested divorce. In this type, if there is no mutual agreement regarding the separation, one party can file a case to the Thai Court. You may be asked to appear in court to make your individual statements.

      Should you need more information or further assistance, you may send an email to [email protected].

  12. Ngadiyem
    July 26, 2016

    I’m from Indonesia and my husband is British. Can you tell me what document I need to getting married in Thailand?

    Thank you

    • August 1, 2016

      You and your partner will each need to obtain an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from your respective embassies in Thailand. Kindly contact your embassies in Thailand to inquire about the documents they need for them to issue you the affidavit.

      In case that you and your partner have been married previously, please also bring the divorce document or death certificate (in case of death of your previous spouse).

  13. shirley eagleson
    January 14, 2016

    My husband-to-be is from Russia and has been staying living and working in Thailand for six years now. I am from Scotland and I want to marry him in Thailand and then permanently live there as well. Can you tell me what we both need to do for this to happen?

    • January 18, 2016

      When you are finally married to your Russian partner, you may be able to apply for a dependent visa. This is considering that your partner is holding a valid visa as a foreign worker in Thailand. If you wish to know more about your other options, we recommend that you contact the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country for information.