Retirement requirements with a wife

Thai Retirement Plan

Will the financial criteria (THB 800,000 & Monthly income THB 65,000) get increased if I want to move to Bangkok on a Retirement Visa along with my Western wife?

The financial requirement will stay as it is for individual applications. Please take note, that if you and your wife are both aged 50 and above, each should meet the requirement, this requirement will not be presented as couples. Yet, if your wife has not reached the age of 50, she can act as your dependent. Note that if you have a Thai wife you can apply for a marriage visa which has lower requirements.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Brad
    July 29, 2020

    My wife and I bring net $5600.00 / mo. What would be our requirements to retire in Thailand? We are in our 70s.

    • August 3, 2020

      Dear Brad,

      Thank you for your message. There are three types or ways to get a retirement visa. Please see below to see the difference:

      1. Non-Immigrant OA Visa issued at Thai Embassy in your country
      -This visa is valid for 1 year stay. This visa can only be obtained while you are in your home country. You will apply for this visa by showing medical certificate, police clearance, health insurance and funds in your bank account. This bank account can be in your country and does not necessarily in Thailand. This is the only option that you can use income.

      2. Non-immigrant O visa (in your country) + Retirement Visa (Thailand)
      -This visa is a type of retirement visa where you will apply for 90-day non-immigrant O visa at the Thai embassy or consulate. You will then come to Thailand and open a bank account and deposit 800,000 THB. Then 2 months later, the non-immigrant O visa will be converted into a retirement visa. Medical certificate, police clearance and health insurance will not be required. The monthly Income cannot be used on this option. We ca

      3. Non-immigrant O visa (Thailand) + Retirement Visa (Thailand)
      -This option is a type of visa that you can get inside Thailand. You will come to Thailand as tourist. You will then come to Thailand and open a bank account and deposit 800,000 THB. After the funds are in the account, we will apply for the non-immigrant O visa. Then 2 months later, the non-immigrant O visa will be converted into a retirement visa. Medical certificate, police clearance and health insurance will not be required. The monthly Income cannot be used on this option.

  2. William Perkins
    April 11, 2020

    I am a US citizen of 58 y/o and my wife is Thai and also a US citizen. She is 45 y/o. She has a son who lives with us in American of 17 y/o who is also Thai/US citizen. We are planning to retire next year to Northeastern Thailand. Our son is planning to return to the US states and go to collage after a short time (6 months) in Thailand. My question is what type of visa’s do we all need and how much should we put in a Thai back account?

    • April 13, 2020

      For your wife and son, if they are able to enter Thailand using Thai passport, there is no need for a Thai visa for both of them. For you, you can obtain a marriage visa or a retirement visa. The different between the two is the funds required to be deposited in a Thai bank.

  3. Kevin
    May 24, 2019

    I have more than enough money to retire to Thailand. I am 50 years old. However, my wife is only 40 and we have a 14-year-old daughter. If I retire to Thailand, what kind of visa would my wife and daughter need?

    • May 31, 2019

      Dear Kevin,

      You will be able to get a retirement visa and your wife and daughter will get a dependent visa. You only need to meet the financial requirement and your wife will only show proof of marriage as well as the birth certificate of your daughter. All of you will require a non-immigrant O visa issued by a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country. You will enter Thailand using the non-immigrant O visas. Once you are in Thailand, you will set up the bank account and deposit 800,000 THB. Two months later, you, your wife and your daughter will apply for the 1-year extension at the local immigration office in the province where your family resides.

  4. Jon Gruber
    April 2, 2018

    My wife and me are currently on an ED visa for learning the Thai language in Thailand. End of the year I will turn 50: can we change my visa to retirement visa and her as dependent here in Thailand or do we have to leave the country and apply at a Thai embassy?

    • June 5, 2018

      If you have an existing ED visa, it cannot be converted into retirement visa inside Thailand. You need to have Tourist visa or Non-immigrant O visa to obtain a 1 year retirement visa inside Thailand. If you need more information kindly email us here: [email protected]

  5. Corey
    March 12, 2018


    Is it correct that if I am over 50 but my wife is <50 she can be a dependent of mine and not have to meet the financial requirements?

    What happens when she reaches 50? Will she then have to meet the financial requirements when its time to renew?


    • June 4, 2018

      If your are over 50 years old and your wife is under 50, she can apply for a dependent visa.
      If she turns 50, you will both apply for a retirement visa individually and must meet both financial requirements ( Bank account) under individual names.
      If you need more information, you can email us at [email protected]

  6. February 22, 2018

    So husband and wife need
    About 50 thousand total if in bank requirements.. correct
    USD that is.

    • June 5, 2018

      For retirement visa to Thailand, you must have 800,000THB in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months per person per bank account.
      If you need assistance and more information in obtaining a retirement visa to Thailand, you can send us a message at [email protected]

  7. Patrick
    May 11, 2017

    I (> 50 years old), my wife (< 50 years old), are our 2 children (4 and 6 years old) are planning to moving to Koh Samui next year for our children education and progressively applying Non Immigrant Visa (3 months or 1 year), and then convert to Retirement Visa. Is my family eligible to move as Dependent 1/ for Non Immigrant Visa, then 2/ under My Retirement Visa? What is then the requirement for minimum holding amount versus the 800,000 Baht required, for individual applicant? As for 65,000 Baht per month, I will depend of monthly transfer from my foreign bank account (HK), however, it is not an income coming from pension but from saving that I would transfer. What evidence of document should I produce to validate the conditions and eligibility?

    • May 16, 2017

      Yes, you are able to apply for the non immigrant visa and then convert it to a retirement visa. Your wife and children will also be able to get a 90-day non immigrant visas and then 1 year extension as your dependants. As for the income, you just have to make sure that your embassy in Bangkok can issue an affidavit stating that this monthly cash inflow is your monthly income or salary.

  8. shara mae
    February 14, 2017

    I’m from Germany and I have a girlfriend from Philippines. We would like to stay in Thailand. I’m 60 years old and my wife is 25 years old. What we can do so we can stay in Thailand?

    • March 17, 2017

      Thank you for contacting us regarding your concern. You can apply for the retirement visa while you can sponsor your Filipina girlfriend for the dependent visa based on your retirement visa since she is under 50 years old. Should you have further questions or you require assistance from our Thai visa expert, please send an email to [email protected].

  9. Nick
    April 21, 2016


    I would like to know about the retirement visa requirement of having 800,000 THB in a Thai bank account as a proof of funds when you are not allowed to open a Thai bank account without a proper visa (ie: they will not let someone on a tourist visa open an account). Is this a loophole or am I missing something?


    • April 27, 2016

      Ideally, you should be applying for the non-immigrant O visa from your home country prior to your travel to Thailand. This visa can later on be extended to the one year retirement visa once you are inside the country. The requirements for the non-immigrant O visa by the Thai Embassy or Consulate does not include having a Thai bank account, but you will need to show proof of sufficient finances.

      If, however, you are already inside Thailand with a different type of visa and you need help with the opening of bank account, you may seek assistance from a firm that offers the service. For more details, please send an email to [email protected].

  10. dan dunne
    January 25, 2016

    My wife and I would love to retire at Koh Samui in a couple of years. I’m a little confused about the financial requirements. Do both of us have to have 800,000 Thai baht in Thai bank account and 65,000 Thai baht monthly income? Or will 800,000 Thai baht in Thai bank account say for my wife and 65,000 monthly for me?

    • January 27, 2016

      The financial requirements must be met by each applicant which can be either having 800,000 baht savings in a local Thai bank or declaring their monthly income/pension of at least 65,000 baht.