Can a 90-day visa be extended?

Thailand Visa

The Non Immigrant “O” visa (single entry) good for 90 days, before my visa expires, would I still be able to extend my stay while in Thailand?

With Non Immigrant “O” visa, the immigration officer can be able to extend your stay for a period of up to 1 year depending on your purpose of visiting Thailand. You may be granted extension under retirement, marriage with a Thai national, for employment, for Education and many other categories. You just need to fulfill what they require in order to be able to prolong visa in Thailand.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. William
    November 13, 2020

    Thanks for all the insight provided! Reading all these answers, there is still something I am looking for:
    when granted a 90-day visa for retirement, how likely is it to get a one-year extension? Is it possible to be refused one year but instead another 90 days?

    And then my second question was, under what circumstances do people have no other choice but to do visa runs?

    • November 15, 2020

      Dear William,
      Good day.
      If you have a 90-day non-immigrant O visa, you may only extend it for either 7 days or for 1 year. If you do not qualify for the 1 year extension, you will only get 7 days or you must leave Thailand immediately. In order to get the 1 year extension, you must meet the financial requirements and other minor requirements such as proof of address.
      Thank you.

  2. Evan
    October 18, 2020

    Can my type O marriage visa be extended for another 90 days? I need to stay until my wife US visa is processed. I dont need the full year extension but the 30 day extension is not enough. My Marriage visa expires on November 11th.

    • November 1, 2020

      Dear Van,
      Good day.
      If you have a 90-day Non Immigrant O visa, this stamp can be extended for 60 days at a time. After 60 days, you may request for another 60 days.
      Thank you.

  3. Gizela Pereira
    July 3, 2020

    Hello, I am Brazilian and I have been in Thailand since March 18 with a tourist visa that will expire on July 31, but my flight back to Brazil is August 2, so what should I do to apply for a extension of tourist visa? how long can i extend my visa? I’m currently in Chiang Mai. Thank you.

    • July 3, 2020

      Dear Gizela,
      There is a possibility that the visa amnesty will be extended. if it is not extended, before July 31, you can go to the immigration office and file for extension of 7 or 30 days. Another option is to do nothing and just exit Thailand on August 2, and pay overstay fine of 1000 THB if the visa amnesty is not extended.
      Thank you.

  4. Pranesh
    June 2, 2020

    currently i am having single entry non immigrant B visa, It expires on Jun 10, Could I able to apply for a work permit in Thailand Today. But my company is registered under BOI, May i know the tentative days to get the work permit or There is any possible way for extending my current visa.

    • June 2, 2020

      Yes, the Non-immigrant B visa can be extended for 1 year if you currently hold a work permit. Please ask your employer to arrange the work permit so you can extend the visa in time.

    • Pranesh
      June 2, 2020

      Hi Rex,

      my company is registered under BOI can i able to process work permit, My advisor mentioned, we need to apply before 10 working days and now it is not possible. Is there any alternate way to directly contact embassy for work permit

    • June 3, 2020

      The process for the work permit will take around 10 days so you have to do the work permit application as soon as possible.

  5. Gehring
    May 28, 2020

    I have a 3 month non O visa running to July 19. How long before can I apply for a one year extension ? THANKS

    • May 28, 2020

      You can apply as early as 45 days before the expiry of the permit to stay or you can apply even 1 or 2 weeks before that date.

  6. Ian
    May 20, 2020

    My 90 day visa runs out on the 3rd of June can I extend it

    • May 20, 2020

      Yes, if you have a 90-day single entry non immigrant visa, you can extend it for 1 year depending on the basis of the visa: marriage visa, retirement, working visa or education visa. You will apply for the visa extension of 1 year at your local immigration office. If you are not qualified to get the 1 year extension, you can still stay in Thailand beyond June 3, you can avail the visa amnesty and stay until July 31.

  7. Rayhan
    May 14, 2020

    Hello wish to get clear some questions:

    If retirement visa can be applied by any nationals of over 50 years ?
    If applicant can get dependents visa for his native wife with children along ? If so if it will require 800k deposit to be required for each person or only for the applicant ?

    If retirement Visa can do business in Bangkok? I mean own company business ?


    • May 15, 2020

      Yes, the non-immigrant O visa and retirement visa open for all nationalities as long as the applicant is 50 years old or above. The spouse aged below 50 years can be a dependent and children below 20 years can be a dependent also. If the spouse is 50 years old, the spouse must obtain a retirement visa also and must meet the financial requirement. Retirement visa holder cannot have a work permit therefore he or she cannot own a business.

  8. Kyson
    March 25, 2020

    COVID-19 is affecting many parts of our life.

    I’m holding a 90 days VISA which expires in mid April. I booked a ticket which departs about 10 days prior to the expiry date.

    Unfortunately, I received an email from Thai Airways saying my flight is canceled. I am trying to book alternate flight but it’s almost impossible to find a ticket.

    My worries are what if I am not able to find a way out and end up overstaying due to emergency decree imposed due to COVID-19.
    Is there any way that I could extend the VISA?

    Thank you for your attention.

    • If you are married to a Thai, you can ask for a temporary extension for 60 days. If your non-immigrant visa is of a different category, you can extend for 7 days or you can contact your embassy or consulate in Thailand to provide you a letter stating that you are affected by the current COVID-19 crisis and that your flight has been canceled. The embassy will request the immigration office to extend your stay for another 30 days.

  9. Marissa
    March 13, 2020

    I haven’t show for 90 days reporting last March 4, 2020. And now is March 13, 2020, they said I have to pay for overstay but I had a visa that will end on March 30, 2020.

    Then Today I report and show myself with complete documents for updating my 1-year working visa. They just said that I need to pay more for the overstay!?

    Is it considered overstay if my visa is still valid until March 30, 2020? Please, I need a quick explanation about this matter and I will be grateful for your kind consideration!

    • You were not requested to pay for an overstay. You were requested to pay for the penalty for late reporting. The penalty for late reporting is between 2,000 to 5,000 Thai baht.

  10. andrea
    October 23, 2016

    I opened my 1 year visa in Chiangmai in November 2015. I then moved my staying in Samui since March 2016 and I reported my first 90 days report in Chiangmai as well in February 2016. In May 2016, I reported 90 days in Samui. I went then two days ago in Samui for new 90 report and have been told that have to do in Chiangmai as original issuing place for it. Is that possible? do I have any option as my last day was 18 October 2016? Thanks so much for a quick answer.

    • October 26, 2016

      You must proceed to the immigration office in your current place of residence for your 90-day report. If you have reported late, you need to pay the fine of 200THB per day of late reporting with a maximum fine of 5,000THB.

  11. William Vaughan
    June 21, 2016

    We are American family, if I the father have work permit to teach in Thailand , can my wife and children live with me ?

    • June 28, 2016

      Yes, but they would need to apply for the applicable visa based on the purpose of their travel to Thailand. Please contact the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country or current location for further assistance.