Can I stay in Thailand for 32 days?

Thailand Immigration

We are visiting Thailand in December and want to spend the New Year in Bangkok. I am going to be staying in Thailand for 32 days do I need to apply for a visa?

There would be two options on how you could stay in Thailand for 32 days. First, we recommend that you should apply for a tourist visa from the Thai embassy or consulate nearest your location. Then you will be allowed to stay in Thailand up to 60 days once tourist visa is issued. Otherwise, you may apply for an extension from your initial 30-day stamp to 7 days or pay overstay fee of 500 THB per day at the immigration check point. If you are caught while on overstay you will be deported from Thailand.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Orley Makler
    February 12, 2024

    if i land in Bangkok at 420 pm on the 5th of April and depart at 8.30 am on the 5th of May – will that be a problem? will i need to pay a fine? will i have any problems coming into Thailand next time?

    • February 12, 2024

      Hello, Orley Makler.

      If you are overstaying your visa, then you will need to pay a fine of 500 THB per day. If you are only a day late, you will not have any problems with coming back into Thailand, so long as you pay explain your situation to the immigration office and pay the required fee.

  2. Andrew
    August 22, 2020

    Thank you Rex. One more question.
    I hear that if I go to Immigration Office there is no way I can extend my visa myself (after 26/9) but if I go to ‘Visa Agency’ then no problem and quick. The only catch: PRICE of that extension for 2 or 3 months. Probably the most expensive visa extension in the world. Is that true? That’s how it works? Thanks again for your reply so I’ll know what to do.

    • August 24, 2020

      Dear Andrew,
      The agency may be applying for a visa that you do not qualify such as new Non O visa for volunteer work. They will get you this visa in order for you to have an extra 3 months or new ED visa under supposed training or internship. You do not need an agency to change your visa if you actually have a change of circumstance and you qualify for a certain visa that the immigration office will allow you to apply inside the country.
      Thank you.

  3. Andrew
    August 19, 2020

    I’m on Visa Amnesty until 26/9. I noticed that flights to Cambodia (where I need to go) have been cancelled for September but a few airlines accept bookings for October. If I stay in Thailand a few days (a week or two) longer till early October, when the flights hopefully resume, what will happen to me? Can I pay overstay fine? (500 baht/day? At airport?) Or it will not be accepted after 26/9? Waiting for your reply. Thank you. Andrew.

    • August 19, 2020

      Dear Andrew,
      You have 3 options:
      1. You may leave Thailand on or before September 26.
      2. You may apply for 30-day extension if you are unable to travel due to illness or cancelled flights. You may apply for it before September 26.
      3. If you have a change of circumstance such as employment or married to a Thai, you may contact your local immigration office for the change of visa if you are qualified.
      4. If you decide to overstay, that is 500 THB/day and it will be on record which may affect your future travels into Thailand.
      Thank you.

  4. Jonathan
    March 10, 2020


    I am from the UK looking to visit Thailand at the end of March and use up the full 30 days visa exemption.

    If the Coronavirus situation escalates and the UK temporarily bans all flights from Thailand OR I manage to get infected by the virus and causes me to overstay past 30 days, what would happen then?

    • Hi Jonathan,

      Good day! You are able to extend this 30-day visa exemption stamp for another 30 days at the local immigration office. For the extension, you just have to submit one passport size photo (4cm x 6cm) with white background, TM6 card, TM30 receipt from your hotel and pay the fee of 1,900 Thai baht.

      Hope this helps.

  5. Stephen
    February 20, 2020

    I arrived at Chiang Mai Feb 19 at 11am and depart March 20 at 1pm. Is this considered 30 days or 31 days? It is 30 nights but technically if including all day the 19th and all day the 20th, it would be 31 days.

    • February 24, 2020

      Hi Stephen,

      February 19th to March 20th 2020 is considered 31 days. February 19th is Day 1 and Day 30 is March 19th. If your flight is on March 20th at 1PM, it isn’t going to be a problem because you are leaving the country within 24 hours after the entry stamp has expired. You do not need to pay any overstay fine at the airport.

  6. TSANG
    February 28, 2018

    I am holding a Hong Kong passport & being allowed to stay 30 days. When does the FIRST day start counting ? The day of arrival or the next day after arrival ?

    Suggest to have this point specified in your website. Thanks

  7. Natascha Clausen
    November 22, 2016


    My husband and I are coming to Thailand tomorrow. We will stay for 42 days. Can we get more than 30 days visa on the airport? And what is the price for 42 days visa? We have Danish and Italian citizenship, but we come from Nepal. Would that create us issues?

    Natascha and Edoardo

    • November 23, 2016

      For Denmark and Italian passport holders, you will only get a 30-day stamp upon arrival at the airport. If you will stay longer, you can apply for an extension of up to 30 days extension at the immigration office in Thailand before the entry stamp expires.

      The country from which you arrive will not matter as they will refer to the passports you hold. It will only affect your entry if you have traveled through countries which are declared as Yellow Fever infected areas.

  8. Berni
    November 4, 2016


    I need an extension of the 30-day stamp. Total stay in Thailand would be 31 days. I want to extend the 1 day in addition legally. I don’t want to pay the penalty at the airport. How much do I need to pay at an immigration office? Which documents do I need to show?

    Thank you.

    • November 7, 2016

      The extension fee is 1,900 THB. You need to fill our the application form, attach a 4x6cm passport photo taken within the last 6 months, bring your passport and pay the fee.

  9. Noman Zakir
    October 29, 2016

    I am planning to visit Thailand in February 2017 for 31 days and I have a stamped visa for 30 days only. What should I do now as I already booked tickets by mistake.

    Please help. Thank You!

    • November 1, 2016

      You may apply for an extension on the 30-day stamp before it expires at an immigration office upon arrival in Thailand.

  10. Catherine Wilson
    April 16, 2016

    I am getting into Thailand without a visa (so am allowed 30 days) on May 2nd in the evening. I am leaving on a flight at 12:55 AM on June 1st, and so will be exiting customs before midnight May 31st. Given it would not be a full 30 days until the evening, after I’d left, would that departure time be considered an overstay of my visa?

    • April 25, 2016

      It is on the discretion of the Immigration Officer who will be assessing your situation whether or not to declare it as already an overstay.

  11. Wie Chong Soo
    December 31, 2015

    I am a Singaporean. How do I go about applying for a visa in Thailand if I want to extend my stay to beyond 30 days once I am there? Can I ask my wife in Thailand to apply the visa on my behalf as I am in a wheelchair?

    • January 5, 2016

      Your ability to apply for a visa inside Thailand will depend on your qualification. Please contact the nearest immigration office to know more about your visa options.

  12. trang
    December 11, 2015

    I arrive in bangkok on the 23rd of december and leave the 23rd of january, I didn’t realize that it was 31 days. Will this be a problem since I plan on being on a 30 day visa?

    • December 17, 2015

      This will depend if you are travelling with or without a visa. If this will exceed your permitted period of stay, then you will need to pay the overstay fine when you leave Thailand.

  13. Seng Lee
    November 20, 2015

    Hi, Need help? I am planning to go to Thailand in December to visit my brother for three weeks. Do I need to apply for visa? If I do, what kind of visa should I apply?

  14. Thein
    November 4, 2015

    Hi, could you suggest me? I am planning to see the doctor in Bangkok. What kind of visa should I apply?

    I am planning to come with arrival visa. But If I need more days in case of Operation needed, is it possible to extend the visa for some days?

    • November 4, 2015

      Before expiration of your visa, you may apply for an extension at the immigration office in Thailand on the basis of medical purpose.

  15. bie
    October 7, 2015

    Thank you for your reply. I feel more better now. Just another question, if my budget can, how much will it cost me to extend visa for 1 day?

    Can I extend it at DON MUEANG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT? I just need to go to immigration?

    Thank you! God bless!

    • October 12, 2015

      The cost of visa extension is THB 1,900. This must be applied at the immigration offices inside the country and is not available at any airports in Thailand.

  16. bie
    October 6, 2015

    Hi, I’m a Filipina and I’m not aware that 30 days of stay in Thailand starts on the day you entered Thailand. So on my passport I’m allowed to stay until Oct. 26 but on my returning ticket I will be leaving on the 27th of Oct. So I will over stay here for 1 day. What will be the best action on my case as I don’t want to have a bad record? And is there a fine for 1 day overstay? Thank you!

    • October 7, 2015

      When you overstay in Thailand for one day, you will be required to pay the fine of THB 500. The immigration officer will also put a stamp on your passport which will indicate the overstaying. Although, this is no serious matter since it is only for one day.

      However, if you want to avoid having the overstay stamp on your passport, you may apply for an extension by visiting the immigration office in Thailand.

  17. Amen
    August 27, 2015

    Hi , I came to Thailand with tourist visa, so now I wanna change my visa and stay longer in Thailand cause I’m English teacher and hope to work in Thai school, how I do? and Thanks

    • August 28, 2015


      You will have to secure a teaching job in a school here in Thailand first. Then it is the school who will prepare and provide the documents for your work visa application. The school will also advise you about the application process in changing your visa from tourist to the business or work category.

  18. Norshima Madsah
    June 13, 2015

    Which country can enter Thailand even the passport less than 6 month ? and do they need return ticket as well ?

    • June 15, 2015

      The passport validity requirement by the Thai immigration is at least 6 months, and this is applicable to all foreigners of any nationality who wish to travel to Thailand.

      Normally, return trip ticket is required for tourist visa holder. For Visa on Arrival and 30-day stamp, you need a return trip ticket or an onward ticket in case the immigration officer asks you to present one.

  19. Kim Delos Reyes
    May 7, 2015

    I will be staying in Thailand for 31 days. I will arrive on May 31 and leave June 30 in the morning. So I will apply an extension at the immigration checkpoint. Thank you.

    • May 19, 2015

      Hi Kim Delos Reyes,

      There are several options on how you can extend your stay in Thailand for a certain number of days. One is by applying for an extension of stay at any immigration offices inside Thailand (note that this may not be applicable to some visa types). Depending on your nationality, you can also do border crossing at any immigration checkpoint to get a new stamp. If in case you have overstayed in Thailand for a few days, you will be required to pay an overstay fine of THB 500/day.