Convert a Retirement visa to Marriage visa?

Immigration in Thailand

Can I convert my retirement visa to a marriage visa? My visa expires a few months from now, but I also want to work.

There are two ways to convert a Retirement visa to a Marriage visa. First, you would need to cancel your Retirement visa and apply for an initial non-immigrant o visa from the Thai embassy in neighboring countries. Once in Thailand, you would need to meet the financial requirements and all other supporting documents in order to convert your visa to 1 year.

Second, conversion from Retirement visa to Marriage visa in Thailand could be done during the time for renewal, but this option may not be applicable to all Immigration offices in Thailand. Requirements may then vary and list of documents needed may differ from every location.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Sahri janamin
    November 20, 2019

    I am now on an extension of stay of my retirement visa. I do my extension every year in Bangkok. Please let me know, do I need to have medical insurance for my next extension? Thank you.

  2. Michael
    April 24, 2018

    I have been married to a Thai lady with 2 sons for 10 years on my retirement visa. Now since the Thai baht has become stronger by 9 baht my income has been reduced by 12,000 baht per month; and last year my 10 year annuity payout has finished reducing my income even more. At this point I still meet the income requirement for marriage vise and need to this. How & when?

    • June 1, 2018

      Changing the Retirement visa to Marriage visa is not that complicated. You just have to submit the required documents for that particular visa at the immigration office. Kindly refer to this link:

      if you need assistance for this visa, click on the livehelp chat button to assist you.

  3. Poonam
    December 2, 2016

    I have applied for non immigrant visa in Royal Thai embassy New Delhi but got voided twice. Is it still possible to get visa on arrival for me?

    • December 13, 2016

      For tourism purpose, yes, you may obtain a visa on arrival at Bangkok airport for 1,000 baht fee and you are permitted to stay up to 15 days.