Do I get Thai nationality after marriage?

Thai Citizenship

I will marry a Thai woman next month, how will I be able to stay in Thailand? Can I have a Thai nationality?

Marrying a Thai national would enable you to apply for a long-term visa on a Marriage visa. There are certain requirements that the foreign spouse needs to meet in order to proceed with the application such as providing the financial requirement of either 400,000 THB on a Thai bank account or monthly income in the amount of 40,000 THB or even the combination of both the money in the bank and annual income equivalent to 400,000 THB.

This type of visa can be renewed each year without the need of leaving the country as long as requirements are met. Yet, being married with a Thai spouse does not mean that you can get a Thai nationality. There is a specific process for doing so and you may need to apply first for a Permanent residency, then eventually applying for the Thai citizenship.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Iaro Ramamonjisoa
    July 19, 2018

    Hi.i am from madagascar .i want to marry one beautiful thai girl this year and how can I later get permission of stay after that.thank you for your request.

    • July 19, 2018

      As soon as you are married to a Thai national, you need to get all the marriage certificate documents and apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa at the Thai embassy in your home country. You will get 90days. Once you get to Thailand with our Non-Immigrant O visa ( 90days) we can assist you obtain 1 year Non-immigrant O visa inside Thailand. Kindly email our office: [email protected] for more information

  2. Luzviminda Cruz Narag
    July 3, 2018

    I’m living in Thailand fpr almost 20 years and I have 2 children which are Thai citizen. As their mother what visa should I prefer to apply ? Permanent Resident or Thai citizen? and what are the requirements in applying for either Permanent or citizen visas.. Thank you…

  3. Mary
    June 24, 2018

    My brother married a thai girl 3 y ago, they dont have kid. He doesn’t have a job but their household salary is enough for them. He has 400,000 THB in bank account. Can he apply for citizenship?

  4. hilton
    May 14, 2018

    how long does it take to get issued a visa by thailand embassy

    • June 1, 2018

      Upon lodging the application at the Thai embassy, it should take 1-2 business days.

  5. Jeje
    April 24, 2018

    What do u mean by ( monthly income in the amount of 40,000 THB )

    How to proof that my income is 40.000? And I still don’t have job in Thai

  6. ARYAN
    March 23, 2018

    Hi Im marred to Thai Citizen . I enter in Thailand on Non Immigrant Visa which i can stay 90 days . then i return Back to my country India without knowing that i can apply in thailand itself Now im in Delhi and i apply again now i have been ask to give reason why i didnt apply in Bangkok itself .
    And i have been ask to show Bank statement of Income THB 40000 per month.

    • June 5, 2018

      If you wish to apply for a non-immigrant O ( marriage visa), you must supply your own financial requirement. Using your wife’s bank account will not qualify you to obtain a marriage visa.

  7. cheryl
    September 6, 2016

    Hello, I’m living here in Thailand for 14 years and I applied citizenship last 12 years ago. Me and my husband has no child. Can I still get my citizenship? The police said that our documents are in Mahatay already. I’m hopeless because it takes too long.

    • September 8, 2016

      If your application has been lodged already, you may check with the office processing it. We cannot assist you on this matter.

  8. Craig
    August 21, 2016

    I have been married to a Thai national for eight years. We have a nine year old child. How can I get residency to stay with them forever? As I would like to move from UK, is the 400,000 THB compulsory?

    Mr sharman

    • August 23, 2016

      You will need to meet the criteria for permanent residence as specified in the link below. If you will apply for a Non Immigrant O Visa based on your marriage to a Thai national, you can either meet the financial requirement of 400,000THB in a Thai bank account or 40,000THB monthly income from your home country.

  9. Rahul chand
    August 14, 2016

    I married a Thai girl…and how can we apply for citizenship?

    • August 17, 2016

      You must apply for a Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage first. Then you can apply for permanent residence after 3 consecutive years of visa extensions using the same marriage visa.

  10. h.d.m damith rathnasekara
    August 6, 2016

    Hi I’m Lankan 30 year old. I’m going to marry from Thailand lady and I have question when I marry her how I apply for the visa stay Thailand with her what are the requirements?

    • August 9, 2016

      For the marriage registration, you will need to do the following:

      • Obtain an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from your embassy in Thailand
      • Have the affidavit translated to Thai
      • Have the translation legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
      • Register you marriage at a district office

      Once your marriage has been registered, you will need to obtain a 90-day Non Immigrant O Visa based on your marriage to a Thai national at a Thai embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.

      Upon entry into Thailand using the 90-day visa, you will need to meet the following requirements to apply for the Marriage Visa extension.

      • A monthly income of 40,000THB supported by a letter from your embassy in Thailand verifying your income; or
      • A security deposit of 400,000THB in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months supported by a letter from the bank stating that your money has been in the account for at least 2 months deposited from an overseas source, and an updated bank book or passbook

      Other documents that may be required to be presented:*

      • Police Clearance
      • Medical Certificate

      * These are not required if the visa application is submitted inside Thailand, though there are rare occasions, however, when an official from the Thai embassy or consulate may ask for these documents before issuance of the visa.

      You will apply for the 1-year Marriage visa at an immigration office near your residence in Thailand during the last 30 days of your 90-day Non Immigrant O Visa.

  11. Saber
    July 29, 2016

    Hello my name is Saber from Afghanistan I got married with Thai lady two three years ago, because I don’t have right to work for living so I have to go back Afghanistan no choice. But my wife doesn’t want to go there coz that’s not safe for her and without money and work I can’t live here. My question is there any way to get Thai citizenship? However it’s national law of every country after married foreign spouse get citizenship.

    Best regards

    • August 2, 2016

      You can apply for a marriage visa based on your marriage to a Thai national. However, you will first need to obtain a 90-day Non Immigrant O visa from the Thai embassy in Islamabad or at a Thai embassy or consulate in another neighboring country. Once you have the 90-day visa, you can enter Thailand and apply for a 1-year Marriage visa at a local immigration office upon meeting the requirements of Thai immigration during the last 30 days of your visa.

  12. hammad
    June 12, 2016

    I want to marry Thailand girl. What benefits Thailand country give me after marrying a Thai girl?

    • June 15, 2016

      You can stay in Thailand for a year without the need to exit the country once you obtain the visa based on marriage.

      You can work in Thailand on a marriage visa if you are able to obtain a valid work permit.

      The marriage visa is renewable on an annual basis as long as you are able to meet the requirements for the renewal.

      You may also apply for permanent residence for Thailand after 3 consecutive years of visa extensions based on marriage to a Thai national. For more information about permanent residence, please contact the Thai embassy or consulate near you.

  13. Abdallah
    May 19, 2016

    Hello, thank you all. I am Abdallah from Jordan and reside in UAE. I have the bachelor in Mathematics therefore I work as a Mathematics teacher. Indeed, I am interested in getting your nationality. Please help me. Best wishes