Must we visit Bangkok for registration?

Amphur in Thailand

We live in Phuket and were wondering about where to register our marriage while in Thailand. Do we now need to get to Bangkok to register our marriage?

Yes. For foreign nationals who intend to get married in Thailand, a visit to the embassy of your home country in Bangkok shall be required for you to obtain a document allowing you to get married here. The embassy will issue a document called “Affirmation of Freedom to marry” in order to proceed.

Once affirmation is released, this to be translated, and following translation of the documents, officials at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok will legalize the documents before registration can take place in any district office. See the explanation here.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Sanjay shah
    May 10, 2015

    Dear sir,

    I am Sanjay , from india reaching Bangkok on May 21 around 02:00 p.m and leaving on June 5 and my flight timing is 08:40 a.m just want to know am I eligible for visa on arrival and what will be my visa charges ?
    Thailand airport authority issue visa on arrival for stay within 15 days