Thai visa on a one-way ticket?

Passport and Boarding Pass

I am going to be on holiday in Thailand during December this year and spend some time in the country. I was wondering if I can I apply for a tourist visa with one-way ticket?

No, you cannot apply or even enter Thailand on a Tourist visa on a one-way ticket. The Embassy or consulate will refuse your visa application if not being able to provide proof of return or outgoing ticket from Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Tourist visa, you must present itinerary or confirm paid ticket showing arrival and departure date as well.


See more questions and answers on the Frequently Asked Questions page of this website


You can also search our entire FAQ section to find the answers to your question/s. Use the search tool below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This form collects your name, email and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our privacy policy and terms.



  1. Tan
    January 26, 2024

    I’m Malaysian planning to stay in Thailand 30 days or 60 days the max.
    Is it possible to purchase one way ticket to enter Thailand first?

    • February 13, 2024

      Hi, Tan.

      Unfortunately, if you wish to enter Thailand with a Tourism Visa, you will need to apply for it first before coming to Thailand.

  2. Muhsin
    September 27, 2022

    Hi Sir/Madam,

    I need Information about Non – Immigrant visa, Can i Travel to Thailand on Non Immigrant ticket with One-way Ticket?

  3. Jenny Luu
    September 20, 2022

    I buy one way ticket to thailand end of September. I am holding US passport. Do I need to apply Thai Visa or I can apply in Thailand.

  4. blessing
    September 17, 2022

    I want to visit Thailand in November this year how can I process the visa and how to apply I need help …. thanks

  5. rien snijder
    September 6, 2022

    When flying to thailand using tv (60 day tourist visa)
    But showing a plane ticket with duration 90 days (because I intend to extend once in th) , would that be acceptable for visa application?

    Thank you so much
    Rien Snijder

  6. Lisa
    August 26, 2022

    When applying for a 12 month multi entry O Spouse visa from Australia do I need to show/purchase a return flight?

  7. Paal
    August 22, 2022

    Hi, i have a non O visa(volunteer) single entry visa, do I need a return ticket?

  8. Arpan Jain
    September 17, 2020

    can i travel to Thailand with Different flight Tickets?
    Ex. I am booking Del To BKK with Go air and BKK to DEL with Spicejet

    am i Allowed to travel in thailand or i need return airtickets on same airlines and Same PNR ?

    • September 22, 2020

      In 2021 when Thailand reopens its borders, yes, you may book separate airlines.
      Thank you.

  9. Charlotte
    November 18, 2019

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    I have a one way ticket from Manila to Bangkok, and a ticket from Singapore to Melbourne 34 days later. I would like to travel over land from Bangkok to Singapore. I am from Belgium. Can I get a tourist visa in this case, if I can show a bus ticket from Thailand to Malaysia? If not, which visa should I get?
    Kind regards,

    • November 28, 2019

      Yes, it is possible to obtain a visa exemption stamp at the airport when you enter Thailand from Manila to Bangkok. You only need to show that you are traveling from Thailand to Malaysia by bus on the 30th day from the date of arrival.

      If you are traveling to Malaysia after 30 days, you need to have a proper tourist visa before traveling to Thailand from Manila. This tourist visa, you can get from a Thai embassy or consulate nearest you.

  10. Kirsten Barnson
    October 2, 2019

    I am going to Thailand at the end of the month (October 2019) for an English teacher position through CIEE and OEG. I will obtain my work permit once I have arrived in the country and coordinate with my school’s principal. I currently have a non-immigrant single entry B visa to Thailand, which I will convert to a work permit after 90 days in the country. Would I be able to enter the country on a one-way ticket?

    • October 9, 2019

      Yes, you are able to enter Thailand on a one-way ticket because you have a non-immigrant B visa. Only those with a visa exemption or tourist visa are required to show an onward flight.

  11. stuart bunch
    September 12, 2018

    i have a non O visa multi entry visa, do I need a return ticket?

    • September 13, 2018

      If you have a non-immigrant visa to Thailand, you dont need a return ticket.

  12. Bruno
    September 6, 2018

    Dear Sirs,
    I have a Thai retirement visa and a multiple re-entry visa. Date of expiry is 30/11/2018. Do i need a return airline ticket when i fly on 20/11/2018 from FRA to BKK? Thanks in advance for answering.

    • September 7, 2018

      No you dont need a return ticket if you have a long term visa in Thailand ( Retirement visa )

  13. P. Ensor
    August 8, 2018

    I have a Thai retirement visa do I need a return airline ticket to enter Thailand?

  14. John
    July 8, 2018

    Flying to Thailand with a non immigrant visa type o-a . Is it ok to have a one way ticket.

    • July 11, 2018

      Yes. It is okay to fly to Thailand with one way ticket if you only have a one way ticket.

  15. Ahmed
    June 28, 2018

    Im going to travel on a non immigrant b visa as a teacher
    To thailand do i need to have a round trip ticket or one way ticket is okay?
    If i have to have an outward ticked is it have to be confirmed or no?

    • June 28, 2018

      If you have already obtained a non-immigrant Business visa, you dont need a return ticket.

  16. Christine Oliver
    April 9, 2018

    I am travelling around and plan to visit Thailand. Do I need an outward flight booked before I enter. I am from the UK. Am in India at the moment. Do not think I need a visa but do I need an outward flight?

    • June 4, 2018

      It is necessary to have your outgoing ticket, the immigration officer may or may not ask it but under normal procedure they will ask these information.
      In case you dont have any outgoing ticket, you can explain your plans on when and how will you exit the country to the officer, either by air or by land border.

  17. Neeraj
    April 3, 2018

    Hi am travelling to thailand.
    I have non b visa and work permit and a re entry stamp also..
    Do i need to show my return ticket at immigratiom thai and at airline counter to get boarding pass

    • June 1, 2018

      If you are holding a non-immigrant B visa with re-entry permit and work permit, you dont need a return ticket if you are travelling to Thailand.

  18. Sabine Scheucher
    March 11, 2018

    Dear Sir or Madam,

    I am getting a Non-Immigrant O visa on Tuesday. The invitation letter- stating that the organisation will take care of my visa extension after 3 months, was approved. Staff at the embassy told me I also have to show an onward ticket. Why?

    • June 4, 2018

      If you are granted 90day non-immigrant O visa, you dont need an outgoing/return ticket.

  19. Julie
    March 2, 2018

    Hello I will be traveling to Thailand with a non-immigrant O visa (for volunteer work). Can I travel to Thailand with a one way ticket as I don’t know how long I will be volunteering. It could be anywhere from 6-8months. I will be departing from the UK on a UK passport. Thank you.

    • June 5, 2018

      If you have obtained your non-immigrant O (volunteer visa), you must prepare your return ticket. It is the discretion of the officer whether they will check it or not.

  20. Chris
    March 4, 2017

    Hi, I’m planning on travelling to Thailand on a non-immigrant “O” visa (to settle with Thai wife). I have trying to get through to the Thai Embassy in London with the following questions but they never answer the phone or reply to email.

    On their website it lists the following documents for said visa:
    “In the case of settlement in Thailand with Thai spouse/ Children/ Parents(Non-immigrant “O”): photo copy certificate of marriage, birth, Thai nationality passport/Thai ID card.(please do not send the original)”

    My questions are:
    – Are these the only documents required or is anything more needed?
    – Do I need to have flight tickets booked?
    – Can the flight tickets be one-way to pass Thai immigration or must they be return (open)?

    • March 17, 2017

      Thank you for contacting us regarding your concern. First I need to know where did you get married. If you got married outside Thailand, you can bring your marriage certificate to the Thai embassy in London and apply for the 90-day non-O visa including those documents that you have already mentioned. Then, once you’re already in Thailand, you and your wife need to get a “Koror 22” document from your wife’s district office in Thailand, which you will use in extending your 90-day non-O to 1 year marriage visa. For your second and third questions, it is not necessary for you to book a ticket prior to your visa application. If you got married in Thailand, you can ask your wife go to her district office and obtain the “koror 2” and “koror 3” documents translated into English and legalized by the MFA. You will need those documents to apply for the non-immigrant “O” visa in your home country.

  21. Thomas
    November 28, 2016


    I live in Thailand on retirement visa extension which expires January 2018. My query is, I am in Australia to see my family and will be travelling back to Thailand in December. My plan is to travel one way, but I have heard of travellers being either turned away or having to show an outbound booked travel ticket or not allowed to fly until onward travel can be shown. I realize onward travel would be a requirement for Tourist visa. But does this also apply to retirement?

    • November 30, 2016

      This rule or requirement is only applicable to those who are entering Thailand without a visa or those who are under the visa exemption rule. Retirement visa holders are not required to show travel itinerary.

  22. Hlawn
    November 13, 2016


    I am holding Burmese passport and planning to go to Nepal via Bangkok. I want to get into Bangkok by air and after Nepal, intending to get out from Mae Sod border. Therefore, is it possible to buy one-way flight ticket to Bangkok and get out via Mae Sod border? Thank you.

    • November 15, 2016

      You will need to show proof that you will leave Thailand within the 14-day visa free entry provided for Burmese passport holders. In this case, if you are unable to provide proof of your exit via plane, you will have to provide other evidence to the immigration officer upon entry.

  23. Xavier
    November 12, 2016

    Hi, I am a Singaporean. My employer just sent me my WP3 and my passport number on WP3 is different by 1 digit. Will I still be able to proceed with my Thai visa application?

    I am not sure if my visa will be approved or how long to approve. Can I book my flight ticket after my visa is approve? Under the proposed stay duration, how long should I indicate as my WP3 indicated 1 year?

    Appreciate rapid assistance as is my 1st time doing visa and I know not about it.

    • November 15, 2016

      You may check with the Thai embassy or consulate where you will submit the application whether your WP3 will be accepted or not. Generally, in submitting an application, you need to provide at least a one-way ticket to Thailand together with the other requirements.

      You may apply for a 1-year Non Immigrant B visa subject to approval of the consular officer.

  24. Carl Whitehead
    November 8, 2016

    Hi, please can you confirm if this is OK regarding Visa. My daughter and 2 friends want to travel Southeast Asia during 2017 Feb, March, April, and May. Their current plan is to fly into Bangkok, then backpack North Thailand then border cross to Laos, then onto Vietnam, then Cambodia and then re-enter Thailand to backpack South Thailand. They, then, plan to fly out Hat Lai to Kuala Lumpur to backpack Malaysia and Indonesia and fly back to UK from Bali.

    By leaving Thailand within first 30 days and re-entering later, does their 30 day Visa start again? Many thanks for your help.


    • November 15, 2016

      Once they exit Thailand, their 30-day visa free entry will already be cancelled. So when they enter on the second instance, they will receive a new 30-day stamp.

  25. Memo
    November 3, 2016


    I am from Pakistan. Currently, I got non immigrant “b” visa on my passport. I will be travelling to Thailand next week. I am too much confused that I have to book one way or return ticket. I have been hired by Thai company to work for 1 year. I also have WP3 paper, contract letter, and full company profile documents. I am afraid if I am not allowed to board on flight with one way ticket. Will Thai immigration allow me to enter Thailand on one way ticket? My company will apply 1 year work permit and visa after I enter Thailand.

    Kindly reply me ASAP. I already booked ticket and will be flying on 12 of November. I am too much confused. 🙁
    Thanks in advance.

    • November 3, 2016

      You can enter with a one-way ticket based on the visa that you currently hold.

    • Memo
      November 3, 2016

      Thanks alot for your rapid reply . Really appreciate this forum to help with correct information.

  26. Mehar
    October 24, 2016

    Hi, I am from Pakistan. I have Non B visa for 90 days now and I will work for a company in Pattaya. I got visa already and I want to travel to Thailand. Now, I am just little confused. I need to book a one way ticket or return ticket? Because my company lawyer will apply work permit for me. After I got a work permit, I can start work with company and will never come back for next years. So please tell me if I need to book a one way ticket or return.

    • October 26, 2016

      You can book a one-way ticket since you already obtained the 90-day visa before traveling to Thailand.

  27. Penny
    October 20, 2016


    I will be arriving in Thailand with a one way ticket from the US and staying for one week. Then, I will be visiting Vietnam and Cambodia for 3 weeks in total. I hope to come back to Thailand for a month, then, fly out to New Zealand for about 6 months. What type of visa will allow me to do this? As I know, a one-way flight has restrictions.

    Thanks for your help!

    • October 26, 2016

      Based on your US passport, you can enter Thailand without a visa for a maximum of 30 days. Since you only have a one-way ticket, you need to show other evidence – like a hotel reservation or travel itinerary- that you will exit Thailand within the allowed duration of stay.

  28. Rasmus Ravenberg
    October 4, 2016


    Im from Denmark and I wish to go to Bangkok, Thailand in the beginning of January for max 30 days. Then I want to travel through Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, and then end up back in Thailand to explore the south of Thailand, and then Malaysia and Indonesia.

    I don’t know when or from where I’m going back home to Denmark, so I wish to only buy a one way flight ticket. What kind of visa would I need and would it be possible for me to enter Thailand with a one-way ticket and the right visa?

    Thank you.

    • October 4, 2016

      As a national of Denmark, you can enter without a visa for a maximum of 30 days if you arrive by air or 15 days if you arrive by land. However, you need to present a ticket flying out of Thailand. Otherwise, you may not be granted entry. The same applies when applying for a tourist visa at the Thai embassy or consulate. You need to present a document showing your flight out of Thailand.

  29. Richard
    June 27, 2016


    I’m a Canadian interested in travelling to Thailand but I have a one-way flight. I was planning on leaving to Cambodia within 30 days and then on-wards to Vietnam. However, I was going to take the bus/train from Bangkok to Angkor Wat. I was going to get the ticket the day of, if I have an itinerary planned out, or if I can purchase the bus/train ticket online is this sufficient proof?

    • July 1, 2016

      You will have to show any proof that you will no longer be in Thailand before the 30-day entry stamp expires. You may present an itinerary or other proof such as hotel accommodation in your next destination showing the dates that you are expected to be in that country, etc.

  30. lorin
    June 21, 2016

    i am going to laos, i’m flying to bangkok and going by land to the border of nongkai and going by bus through the friendship bridge to laos. can i buy a 1 way ticket to bangkok i’m just transienting for laos.

    • June 28, 2016

      You will need to provide proof of your exit from Thailand. In this case, you will need to show a plane ticket showing the date of your exit. Otherwise, you must provide other documentation as proof and inquire if Thai immigration will consider such document.

  31. Kelly
    June 8, 2016

    Me and my partner are travelling to Thailand in December, we will be going to the north of Thailand for 5 – 7 days then heading over the Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back to the south of Thailand as my partners mother will be meeting us for 2 weeks in the islands and then we will head down to Malaysia.

    But will we be able to go to Thailand at the start of our trip with a one way ticket?


    • June 10, 2016

      You will need to show tickets flying out of Thailand to be allowed entry into the country. Please note that immigration requires proof that you will leave before the allowed period of stay expires.

  32. Stephanie Fong
    May 3, 2016

    Hi, I am purchasing a one way ticket to go to Thailand because I am not sure of a final itinerary. Here is my tentative plan. Fly into Bangkok, 3-4 days, volunteer at an elephant nature park for one month, take a train to Chiang Mai for a month and a half, explore Northern Thailand for a few weeks, then perhaps Laos, then to all of the Thai Islands for a undecided amount of time. Would a travel visa be needed and how does that work if I’m undecided about where I am flying home from. I am definitely planning on going to Malaysia and Indonesia as well. Any help would be appreciated. The closes Thai Embassy is a plane ride away so it would be best to plan this all now before I take a trip. Thanks for the help!

    • May 4, 2016

      Yes, you definitely need a proper tourist visa because if you add up your stay in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand, it will exceed 30 days. However, if you cannot get a tourist visa in advance, you can enter on a 30 days entry stamp and you must extend it for 30 days at local immigration office, perhaps in Chiang Mai. After crossing to Laos, if you plan to return to Thailand and wishes to stay for few weeks, I suggest for you to get a proper tourist visa in Vientiane before returning to Thailand so that you will have enough time to explore the Thai islands.

    • Stephanie Fong
      May 17, 2016

      thanks for responding! i’m interested in getting a double entry tourist visa, can i apply for that online or do i need to come to the embassy?

    • May 23, 2016

      Depending on the embassy or consulate where you apply, you may be able to apply for a tourist visa in person or by mail. Kindly contact the Thai embassy or consulate in your place of residence to inquire if it would be possible to apply online.

  33. Ben smith
    March 28, 2016

    Just got a one way ticket in to Thailand from London will I have any problems I will be getting a double entry 60 day visa

    • April 6, 2016

      Please contact the Thai Embassy or Consulate who will be receiving your application to verify your concern.

  34. Lis
    January 3, 2016

    Hi there,
    My partner and I are currently on an extended OE where we have been wanting to spend quite a bit of time in Thailand and travel in and out, as we love it and have a great place to stay and explore the culture.
    We have been in the country for close to a month and are currently exploring a bit of Vietnam.
    We heard through a travel agency that when we return we will be given another 60 days in the Thailand as we are travelling by air..
    We are planning on travelling to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam again after that time frame (unsure how long for), but my father will be flying to Thailand from New Zealand and joining us before that happens. The problem with that is we are unsure of exact dates for travel at this point and would like some advice from the embassy about what are our best options for this trip.

    Are we OK to come in and out of the country like this when we have already been there, or do we need to try and get a tourist visa? (With the problem being that we don’t have exact dates of travel to Cambodia?)

    Please help as we want to know our best options to have a comfortable and relaxed stay in your country.

    • January 5, 2016

      Depending on your nationality, you might be able to be permitted to stay in Thailand for 60 days when your enter the country by air. However, the immigration officer at the airport will likely probe more about your intention to travel if they see that you have been recently issued with the 60 days entry stamp. Obtaining a tourist visa can be a good idea as it gives you more assurance that you will have no problem when entering Thailand.

  35. kari vaisanen
    December 9, 2015

    I have dream to live in Thailand together with my very best Thai friends and im over 50years old,i came to Thailand first time 1986 (2529) for long term holidays and today we are planning together with my Thai friend to help homeless animals in Thailand,how I can stay in your coutry rest of my life, i do speak Thai as well.

    • December 17, 2015

      You may be able to apply for the retirement visa if you meet the financial requirements. However, you will not be permitted to engage in any type of work on this type of visa. It would be best if you can visit the Thai Embassy or Consulate and get the information from them as to what visa would be more appropriate for your travel.