Since September 21, 2021, the Thai Embassy and Consulates in India have resumed their visa application services and COE application services. Indian nationals who wish to travel to Thailand from India may now travel to Thailand whether for tourism, business, retirement, or other purposes.
Here are 5 Easy Steps on How to Enter Thailand in 2021 from India
1. Apply for the Thai Visa and Entry Requirement
Apply for Thai Visa
Indians nationals are required to have a proper visa before entering Thailand. The Visa on Arrival for Indians has been suspended until further notice. Here are the types of Thailand visas for Indians:
- Tourist Visa (TR)
- Special Tourist Visa (STV)
- Non-Immigrant Visa (for visiting Thailand based on different purpose of stay and the visa is valid for 90 days and it can be extended in Thailand up to 1 year
- Thailand Elite Visa
To apply for the Thai visa, please visit the following website:
- New Delhi: http://newdelhi.thaiembassy.org/en/apply-for-visa-to-thailand-en/
- Kolkata: https://kolkata.thaiembassy.org/
- Chennai: https://www.thaiconsulategeneralchennai.com/
- Mumbai: https://mumbai.thaiembassy.org/
Update: Starting October 1, 2021 Indian passport holders may enter Thailand under the Visa On Arrival program. In this program you will be allowed to stay for 2 weeks. You only need to apply for the arrival visa at the port of arrival.
After you have been issued a Thai visa, you may apply for your entry to Thailand. Depending on your vaccination status you may qualify for one of the following:
- Phuket and Samui Sandbox Program
Fully vaccinated Indian nationals or Thai nationals currently in India may travel and enter Thailand without quarantine under the Phuket Sandbox or Samui Sandbox Programs. You must have stayed in India for at least 21 days to be eligible for the Sandbox program and you must travel to Phuket without any transit in Bangkok.
You are required to stay in an accredited SHA+ Hotels for at least 7 nights before traveling to other cities and provinces in Thailand.
- Quarantine Program
Vaccinated Indian travelers who would like to enter Thailand via Bangkok only must comply with and book by themselves, and at their own expense, a 7-day state-approved ASQ hotel.
Unvaccinated travelers entering Thailand by air will be required to undergo a mandatory quarantine of at least 10 days in a designated ASQ hotel in Bangkok.
Children who are unvaccinated must quarantine for 10 days including their parents who must also quarantine for 10 days regardless of vaccination status.
2. Book your Flight, Hotel and COVID Insurance
Book Your Flight to Thailand
At present, certain airlines such as Qatar Airways, Etihad, Emirates, and other major airlines are permitted to operate flights from India to Bangkok or Phuket whether it is on a daily or weekly basis. Please note that if you wish to travel under the Phuket Sandbox program, you must book a flight to Phuket without transit in Bangkok.
To book your flight from India to Bangkok (Quarantine) or Phuket (Sandbox), please click the link below:
Book your SHA+ Hotel
- For travelers who wish to visit Phuket or Samui only, there is no minimum stay required but you must leave Phuket/Samui (Thailand) for another country on or before the intended departure date;
- For travelers who wish to continue the journey to other Thai destinations, you must stay in Phuket for 7 nights, and thereafter will be allowed to travel to other parts of Thailand.
The list of accredited SHA+ Hotels can be found here: https://www.agoda.com/deals?cid=1897011
Book your Quarantine Hotel (ASQ)
- For travelers who are required to undergo a mandatory quarantine for 7 or 10 days, you must book an accredited quarantine hotel. Most quarantine hotels are located in Bangkok or Pattaya.
- The list of accredited ASQ or Quarantine Hotels can be found here: Accredited Quarantine Hotels
Purchase your COVID 19 Insurance
You’ll need to secure COVID-19 Insurance that meets the requirements of the Thai authorities such as:
- Coverage of up to THB 3.5 million (equivalent to at least USD $100,000) for medical expenses due to injury or sickness including COVID-19
- The insurance policy must cover the length of your stay in Thailand. It can be 60 days, 90 days, 6 months or even 12 months.
To purchase the correct COVID Insurance and receive the certificate within minutes, please check this page: https://u.axa.co.th/Sawasdee_Siamlegal
3. Apply for the COE or Certificate of Entry
The foreign traveler must apply for the COE or certificate of entry from the local Thai Embassy or consulate at least 5 to 15 working days prior to the intended date of travel.
- To apply for the COE, please register online by filling in your personal details, and upload supporting documents such as a copy of passport, copy of the valid visa (if any), and COVID-19 travel insurance. The Embassy will screen and pre-approve the applicants who meet the requirements. Please check the status of your application after 1-3 working days.
- The applicants can check their status online if they have been pre-approved. The applicants who received the pre-approval will upload a copy of the flight ticket and the hotel booking confirmation. Please check the status of your application after 1-3 working days.
You must apply for the COE on this website: https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/
4. Obtain COVID-19 Test
After receiving your COE or certificate of entry, you must obtain the following:
- Medical Certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected. The COVID test must be by the RT-PCR method, conducted within 72 hours before departure. Some airlines do not accept home kit tests so please check specific requirements with the airlines you are traveling with.
Note: For Phuket Sandbox, you are required to book 2 COVID tests in Phuket. You may book your COVID tests at https://www.thailandpsas.com/
5. Prepare your documents before departure
You should print and present these documents to your airline before departure:
- Certificate of Entry (COE)
- Valid Thai Visa
- Vaccination Record/Certificate/Card
- Printed Medical Certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected. The COVID test must be by the RT-PCR method, within 72 hours before departure.
- COVID 19 travel insurance certificate
- Confirmation Letter of SHA+ Hotel booking
- Confirmed of travel itinerary
- T8 Health Form
- Download ThailandPlus mobile app