Marhaban, are you a citizen from the United Arab Emirates looking forward to traveling to Thailand? Do you need guidance on how to enter Thailand? If you do need guidance, you are in the right place.
5 Step Guide to Entering Thailand
Thailand is easing its travel restrictions as of the moment, but there are still things you need to do to be granted entry into the country. Below are the steps that you need to take.
1. Apply for a Visa
Citizens from United Arab Emirates (UAE) are allowed to enter Thailand without a visa because the country, UAE, is included in the countries listed in the Visa Exemption Scheme of Thailand. The Visa Exemption Scheme, however, only lets UAE citizens stay in Thailand for 30 days maximum.
Do you want to stay longer than 30 days? If so, you need to apply for a Thai visa. Here are the types of Thai visas you can apply for:
- SMART Visa
- Special Tourist Visa
- Non-Immigrant Visa (for retirement, for a long stay, for work, etc.)
Those are some of the Thai visas you can apply for but if you want something more, you can apply for a Thai Elite Visa, a privileged multi-entry visa that lets you stay for more than 5 years in Thailand.
For a Thai visa application, you will have to download this Thai visa application form. You will have to:
- Type the answers or the necessary details asked in the form because, strictly, a handwritten application form is prohibited or not accepted.
- Print the filled-in visa application form, print 2 of them.
- Gather the required documents needed for the visa application that you are to apply for.
After that, you will have to bring your visa application form and the required documents needed for the visa application to the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulates located in the United Arab Emirates:
- Royal Thai Embassy, Abu Dhabi
Villa 65, Al Shumous Street, End of Dihan Street, Street No.21, Al Zafranah Area, Near to Abu Dhabi General Headquarters, the General Directorate of Central Operations, Traffic & Patrol Directorate, Abu Dhabi
Contact details: +971 2 557 6551 or email@example.com
- Royal Thai Consulate-General, Dubai
Villa 35, Al Jali Street, Community 366 Umm Suqeim 3, P.O. Box 51844 Dubai, the United Arab Emirates Near Raffles International School West. Opposite Jumeirah Beach Hotel)
Contact Details: +971 4 348 9550 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The issuing of a visa is really nothing more than a type of pre-entry clearance. It doesn’t give you permission to travel to Thailand. Thailand’s immigration authorities reserve the power to reject entry into Thailand at the port of entry.
Before you move on to the next step, there is something you should know upon entering Thailand.
Upon entering Thailand, UAE citizens are required to stay in a secured area for either 7 days or 10 days, the days depend on whether you are vaccinated (7-day stay) or unvaccinated (10-day stay). You are to choose a program for your stay:
Hotel Quarantine Program
You will have to stay in a hotel room if you choose this program. You will be under the care of the hotel establishment, providing you with the essential needs while you stay.
This is program caters to both vaccinated and unvaccinated foreign travelers.
You will still have to stay in a hotel but you are given the ability to roam around the location of the Sandbox program. And it is as if you are quarantine-free.
Available Sandbox Programs:
2. Book a Flight, a Hotel and Purchase a COVID-19 Insurance
You will need the receipts or documents mentioned here, as much as possible, do not skip this part.
Book a Flight
Flights are available from United Arab Emirates (UAE) to Thailand. The following mentioned airlines have the said available flights:
- Qatar Airways
- Singapore Airlines
If you are to travel to Phuket, please choose a flight that does not have transit to Bangkok. Do not forget to follow safety measures instructed by the airlines, wear a mask, sanitize and social distance.
Book a Hotel
Did you remember the program that chose? If you did, good!
The hotel will depend on what program you chose:
Did you choose the hotel quarantine program? You will have to book an ASQ hotel which is mostly located in Bangkok and Pattaya.
Again, if you are vaccinated, you will need to stay for 7 days and 10 days if you are unvaccinated.
Did you choose the Sandbox program? You will have to book a SHA+ hotel which is available on locations of the Sandbox program that you chose.
You will have to stay for 7 days here, assuming that you are already vaccinated.
For the best deals and less hassle hotel booking, visit Agoda.
3. Purchase COVID-19 Insurance
As a foreign traveler, you are required to purchase COVID-19 insurance. When purchasing COVID-19 insurance, make sure the following coverage is included:
- A minimum coverage of THB 1.75 million ($50,000)
- It will cover medical insurance.
- It will cover life insurance.
- It will cover unexpected costs caused by COVID-19 incidents.
Please make sure that the coverage will last during your stay in Thailand.
4. Apply for Thailand Pass
After receiving receipts, tickets, or certificates from step 2, you are ready to obtain the required Thailand Pass. To apply for the Thailand Pass, visit this web portal: https://tp.consular.go.th/.
- You will have to fill it in with your personal information, other necessary details and upload documents that are asked in the system. You will have to submit it and wait for 1 to 3 days for the pre-approval update.
- Once pre-approved, you will have to go back to the system to fill in other information and upload the documents needed. You will once again submit it and wait for 1 to 3 days for the final approval.
In case you are in need of assistance with the Thailand Pass application, do not hesitate to reach out for professional assistance.
The Thailand Pass application may take 5 to 7 days to process, you might want to apply 2 weeks before your scheduled departure date.
5. Obtain COVID-19 Test Result
Once you have obtained the your Thailand Pass QR code, you will now obtain a COVID-19 test result. The COVID-19 test shall not be over 72 hours before the scheduled departure date. To be granted entry, you will need to have a negative result.
Preparing the Documents
You have made it to step 5! You must have already completed steps 1 to 4. It would mean that you are ready for your flight, right? Before that, it is suggested to prepare your documents, organize them and make sure that it is there.
This list will serve as your checklist of documents to bring:
- T8 Health Form
- Declaration Form
- Thailand Pass
- Install ThailandPlus Application
- Valid Thai Visa or Re-entry permit
- Passport with at least 6 months validity
- COVID-19 Insurance Certificate
- Confirmed Booked ASQ Hotel or SHA+ Hotel
- Confirmed Travel Itinerary
- Certificate of Vaccine or Proof that you are vaccinated
- Medical Certificate and COVID-19 result obtained not more than 72 hours.