This Weekly Update was originally posted on March 25, 2022. For the most recent update, click here.
To sign-up for our Weekly Updates, please click here.
Thailand Travel Updates
- Thailand Pass registration site is currently open and accepting new applications for the Test and Go, Sandbox, and Quarantine entry programs. For up-to-date information and weekly updates regarding current Thailand travel restrictions, please visit the Weekly Updates for Thailand Travel Restrictions.
- Starting April 1, 2022 the mandatory RT-PCR COVID Test that you have to take before traveling to Thailand will no longer be required for all travelers.
- Please check our YouTube Video for the step-by-step application for the Thai Pass:
Instructional Video for Thailand Pass Application
- Travelers may join our Facebook Group to ask questions and read the latest developments.
- Step by step instructions on How to Book your Test and Go Hotel through Agoda.com
Agoda.com is an authorized booking website for Test and Go packages for the Thailand Pass.
- Check the compilation of the Thailand Pass Frequently Asked Questions.
Pre-departure COVID Test Lifted
Starting April 1, 2022 the mandatory RT-PCR COVID Test that you have to take before traveling to Thailand will no longer be required for all travelers.
It is also good to note that some airlines might still require an RT-PCR test for travelers with transit in Singapore, Japan, Qatar, or the UAE. Please check with your airline to make sure that you meet the transit requirements.
The RT-PCR Test upon arrival (Day 0-1) and an antigen self-test (ATK) on Day 5 will still be required.
Sandbox and Quarantine Programs Reduced
Starting April 1, 2022, the required stay for the Sandbox Program has also been reduced to 5 nights instead of 7 nights. The RT-PCR test on Day 1 and antigen test on Day 5 are still required. If you are a vaccinated traveler, it is recommended to apply for the Thailand Pass under Test and Go program instead of the Sandbox program.
For unvaccinated travelers entering Thailand under the Alternative Quarantine program may now enter Thailand with a reduced mandatory quarantine of 5 nights in a quarantine hotel. The RT-PCR tests on Day 1 and Day 5 will still be mandatory before they can travel to other destinations in Thailand. This will also take effect on April 1, 2022.
COVID Visa Extension To Continue Until May 24
The COVID extension was supposed to end today, March 25, but has been extended. The visa extension grants 60 days permission to stay to those who apply:
- If you have 15 days visa-on-arrival, you cannot have a COVID extension
- If you have 30 days Visa Exemption, you can have a COVID extension if necessary
- If you have 60-day Tourist Visa, you can have a COVID extension if necessary
- If you have Non-immigrant B, ED, O (Volunteer), you can not apply for COVID extension
Please note that this extension of stay is not automatic, you must apply for this at your local immigration office and it will be at the discretion of the officer to approve the application.
How to Book Test and Go Hotel on Agoda.com
You may book a Test and Go Hotel or Quarantine Hotel through Agoda.com It is recommended to always make sure that you have booked the correct package that includes:
- an airport pick-up
- at least one RT-PCR test
as they are necessary for the Test and Go travel scheme by which you enter Thailand. You will not be permitted to leave the airport without the hotel picking you up.
If you book a hotel on the Agoda website, for example, make sure the Thailand Pass or Quarantine filter is on:
Even if your travel scheme is ‘Test & Go’, you will need to stay for up to a day upon arrival at a hotel that provides an RT-PCR test, to make sure that you test negative before you can travel freely in Thailand.
As an example, the hotel below offers ‘airport pick-up’ and ‘1 RT-PCR test’, so it is suitable for your arrival.
Here is the sample confirmation letter from Agoda.com
Test and Go Hotels in Bangkok: www.siam-legal.com/agoda
Test and Go Hotel in Pattaya: https://www.agoda.com/search?cid=1892424&city=8584
Test and Go Hotel in Chiang Mai: https://www.agoda.com/search?cid=1892424&city=7401
Test and Go Hotel in Samui: https://www.agoda.com/search?cid=1892424&city=17198
Test and Go Hotel in Phuket: https://www.agoda.com/search?cid=1892424&city=16056
For travelers entering Phuket you will be able to book your RT PCR test at: www.thailandpsas.com
Submit your Agoda Booking for Thai Pass
When you apply for Thailand Pass, you have to submit your Day 1 Hotel Booking. To expedite the process of validating your Test and Go Hotel stay, you may use your Agoda Booking ID to automatically validate your application.
If your Agoda Booking ID is a paid Test and Go package, you will see this on your screen:
If your Agoda Booking ID is not a Test and Go Package, you will see this on your screen:
NOTE: This Agoda Booking auto-validation is not applicable for Phuket arrivals. For travelers entering Phuket, you will be able to book your RT PCR test at www.thailandpsas.com and provide the receipt number when you fill out the information on this part of the Thailand Pass application process.
Best COVID Insurance for Thailand Pass
Based on our experience, the common problem for Thailand Pass applications being rejected is that some insurance policies are not properly worded. Your COVID-19 insurance must expressly state that it covers up to 20,000 USD medical expenses including COVID-19 while in Thailand.
You may use your own health insurance or purchase insurance from your own country, however, it is recommended to purchase the best COVID insurance for Thailand to make sure that you meet the requirement in obtaining the Thailand Pass successfully.
- Your certificate of insurance will expressly state that it covers up to 20,000 USD medical expenses including COVID-19. It will also state that the certificate is issued for the purpose of the Thailand Pass application.
- The AXA Sawasdee Thailand provides a one-page certificate of insurance which is perfect for the Thailand Pass application since the system will only allow one-page document to be uploaded.
- Your insurance letter or certificate will also contain the policy number and date of effectivity or start date.
- The AXA Insurance policy must be effective before or on the date of arrival and during your entire length of stay.
When you submit your AXA Thailand Pass Insurance, please make sure that you attach or upload the correct document as below:
To purchase AXA Thailand Insurance; the most reliable insurance that has never had any problem with the Thailand Pass application, please click the link below:
Thailand Pass Assistance
The application for Thailand Pass us free of charge. In case you are experiencing difficulty with the Thailand Pass system, you could also avail the professional services of Siam Legal International, a law firm in Thailand that will help you in your Thailand Pass application and therefore make it easy for you to get to the Land of Smiles.
Siam Legal Visa and Thailand Pass Assistance
Package 1: 200 USD (Visa + Thailand Pass)
- Visa Consultation
- Extensive checklist of required documents
- Assistance in Thai e-visa application (non-immigrant O marriage visa and 60-day TR visa)
- Assistance in Thailand Pass application
- 2 to 3 weeks process
- Our offer is available in the US, UK, and Canada visa applications only
Package 2: 100 USD (Thailand Pass)
- Consultation with our Immigration Specialist
- Extensive checklist of required documents
- Assistance in Thailand Pass application (including Visa holders and Visa Exemption)
- 5 to 10 days processing time
- Available in eligible countries only
- Available for Thai and foreign nationals
- For Test & Go, Sandbox, and Quarantine programs
For the latest information, weekly updates, and guide on How To Travel to Thailand in 2022, you may check this page here:
City Travel Guide
- How to Travel to Bangkok
- How to Travel to Phuket
- How to Travel to Pattaya
- How to Travel to Chiang Mai
- How to Travel to Samui
- How to Travel to Hua Hin
- Best COVID-19 Insurance for Foreigners
- Test and Go Thailand –Enter Thailand Without Quarantine
- Thailand Elite Visa –Your Ultimate Long Term visa option for Thailand
- How to Travel to Thailand in 2022 – Guide on How to Enter Thailand
- Thailand Pass Assistance – Apply for Thailand Pass Now